° 19

Stomach virus

Stomach virus. That's what Mr. Phoenix chalked it up to be. After My lunch with Kelly a few days ago I had been throwing up constantly. All throughout the day. I could barely eat. I'd wake up from my slumber with the incessant need to vomit. It was rough but some days were better than others. Today was not one of those days.

Tired of being cooped up in the large condo I decided to accompany Mr. Phoenix to work. Meaning I had to be up just as early as the boys. I regretted my decision as I waited practically two hours for them to rid the bathrooms so I could actually use it. Carter and Cameron took an hour and a half using the first hour to alternate shower time and then the remaining thirty minutes to fix their hair and make sure their outfits were decent.

Rylie and Mr. Phoenix both used the one downstairs. Though they took less time than the other two, lazily, I didn't want to make the journey downstairs. I get dressed in a pair of grey sweatpants that fit snuggly around the ankle and a fitted black long sleeved shirt after I take my shower and head downstairs. The boys were sitting around the island eating plates what looked to be eggs, bacon, and waffles.

I sit next to Carter who pushes a plate that was already fixed towards me. I took one bite of the scrambled eggs and blanched, "Oh my god," as quickly as I came I was running towards the bathroom. I emptied the already nonexistent contents of my stomach and rested my head on my knees.

I let out a breath and hang my head over the toilet once more. I feel another round coming back up. A soft knock sounds on the other side of the door, "Aaron, you alright?" Mr. Phoenix's soft but deep voice asks and tilt my head against the wall.

"Yeah. I'm coming out," I rinse my mouth. Once, twice, and then exit. Mr. Phoenix was waiting on the other side with a can of ginger ale and some crackers.

"It'll help settle your stomach," he explains, "If you need to stay home you can. I think it's going around. Two other people at the firm had been feeling the same the past few days."

"I'm fine. I'm not a big fan of eggs and I don't want to stay here alone anyway."

"You sure?"

"Yes."

•••

There was always an awkward air when I accompanied Mr. Phoenix to work. People would give us sideways glances and squinted eye looks. Once, a secretary even went as far as to ask me if he and I were together. Today wasn't any different. Two women in their mid thirties gave me dirty looks as He and I walked into the building and a man of the same age was giving me haughty looks.

I found myself walking closer to Mr. Phoenix after that. Practically wedging myself into his side. Strangely, like a sixth sense Mr. Phoenix changed our position so he was walking on the outer side while I was more towards the wall being blocked by his large figure. We take the elevator up to the second to top floor. Mr. Phoenix greets his fellow peers and his assistant whom was a rather young law student.