° 22

Always true to his word Mr

Always true to his word Mr. Phoenix got my online schooling in order. He was letting me use his laptop in order to do my lessons and got me supplies for notes and possible homework. Even though the whole concept was practically homework. After taking my placement test at a rather shady looking building the day before it was deemed I was a sophomore. Apparently if I hadn't placed so well during the science portion I'd be considered a freshman.

It was boring. I was listening to lectures. Taking notes. All the while sitting in the Phoenix's empty home. I always tried to do as much as I could in the allotted time. Typing my questions on to the virtual message board. I felt less anxiety doing so since I was doing everything at my own pace. It had been a couple days but I was getting the hang of it.

Since it was Wednesday Rylie returned from school earlier than usual. His school hours were nine to four while his eldest brothers went from eight to two thirty. So on Wednesdays Rylie was out by two. He said they were half days. I didn't see it as much of a half. The elevator dings and as usual Rylie comes in. His dress code consisted of Khaki or navy pants, a crisp white button down, black or brown dress shoes, and a navy blue blazer with the tie being optional.

I couldn't wrap my head around the reason he'd want to go to a private school but it was apparent he enjoyed it. Rylie was a smart kid. I'd say smarter than average. He throws his blazer over the couch and flops down grabbing the remote. I was sitting in the kitchen. The laptop on the island with one of the textbooks I had been given next to me.

Rylie leisurely flickers through the channels while removing his shoes and unbuttoning his school shirt to reveal the grey T-shirt he had under it. He grumbles a hello to me as makes his way to the fridge to grab the necessities to make himself a sandwich, "Are you coming to dinner tonight?"

I was taken aback by the casual question. Rylie and I may have shared his room and home but we rarely exchanged words to each other. He was chatty and jovial with his brothers and dad but never to me. His question also confuses me, "What dinner?"

He takes a bite of his sandwich, "Lila's." I make a face trying to remember the name, "Chases daughter. My niece. It's her birthday. She's turning eight. We've been discussing it for over a week."

I bite the inside of my cheek, "I must not have been listening," dinner didn't sound appealing. I had still been vomiting like clockwork. Certain smells and foods had me racing towards the bathroom. I had been hiding it pretty well. I'd just speed walk out the room and let the faucet run if I felt the urge. It had been drowning the sound out well enough.

"So are you coming?"

"I don't know," I reply with a shrug, "That seems more like a private thing. I wouldn't want to intrude."

Rylie looked as though he was going to say something but thought better of it, "My dad might force you to come though. So, if you don't want to you better have a good excuse or life threatening illness by six," he gives me a playful grin and proceeds to leave going upstairs.