Fairness

(DAYU)

I was forced to conceal to Hua that her twin brother is missing. When I received a letter from my lover who was supposed to be assessing our son's situation there, that he forwarded to be delivered quickly by a strong rider, I couldn't believe the words written on it.

In the letter, Captain Wang broke the news that our son, our Dao, is nowhere to be found in the Southern base.

"Dao is not here, my heart. The boy deceived us. I will be back soon. I just sent this short message to appraise you of what happened..."

Deceived us? Dao finally and completely lied to us. I closed my eyes as the familiar anger rose in my chest for my stupid son.

"I will kill him. I will lock him in his room and slowly torture him. Wang Dao...you..."

Different emotions has been boiling inside me since I received this letter from my lover. Worry, fear, anger...they all swirl on my head, heart and belly as I think about where my son could be.

I need Captain Wang to arrive. I need my lover to explain to me what happened in his visit at the Southern Border. I need my lover to look me in the eye and tell me that our son is truly missing.

I cannot contain this. I will soon explode in worry and anger. I am just glad that Hua seems busy with her Nana that she spends more time outside of our home and thus it's easier to avoid her.

But Captain Wang is bound to be home any minute now and soon, there will be no concealing this problem to Hua. She needs to know that her twin is missing. Again...

Oh...this is just like what I felt when Dao was taken by those rebels when the twins were only twelve years old. Except a lot worse. At least back then, we know that Dao was taken. This time we have no clue about what happened to him. Why Dao didn't arrive at the Southern Base like he was supposed to? Why?

"Master Dayu, General Wang was spotted entering the Capital." A senior servant reported to me.

I nodded, "Good. Ready the stable to admit the general's horse and tell the kitchen helpers to prepare an iced refreshment for the general. He must be thirsty from riding to get home," I dismissed that servant after giving my order. Then I got busy readying a change of clothes for my lover and a basin with water and mint for him to wash the dust off his body.

I have to be patient some more. Questioning Captain Wang while he is dusty and tired from his travel won't get me anywhere. I have to make sure my lover is in a right condition to give me answers to all my questions.

I stood by the wide open window of our room and watch as my lover and his horse entered our estate from the North gate. The refreshment was delivered into our room and I readied myself to assist my lover when I saw him enter the entrance of our mansion.

"Dayu ah, I am here..." Captain Wang said as soon as he entered our room."

"Yes, welcome home. Here, let me help you change. There is a drink on the table, you can have that and change into your indoor clothes." I went to my lover to assist him with his sword and armor. Captain Wang gave me a concern filled look. "You must have been overthinking again to put all these preparations for my arrival." He observed.

"Yes, well...my mind has been working tirelessly since I received your letter ten days ago. And being busy is the only reason why I am still sane," I said as I patiently watch my lover splash water on his face, neck, arms and chest to wash the dust away. I handed him a clean cloth to dry himself and hand his robes as well.

Captain Wang took the iced water with lemon and mint to refresh himself before he looked at me. He opened his arms. I gladly took his embrace as my eyes started to tear up, "Please, tell me it isn't so. Tell me that Dao is not missing." I pleaded to him even though I know there is no chance that what I am wishing would be real.