Strong Love

(WANG HUA)

I was surprised when dinner with Baba, Father and Jin turned out to be pleasant enough. When Baba and Jin got to our home, Father told them that we will have an early dinner to have more time to talk later on.

Father also warned me not to be gloomy while eating and to just be my usual self.

"No need to worry yourself about your engagement with Prince Jin. It is not dissolved yet. You are still marrying this Prince..."

"I am not worried about that, Father. I am worried about you. Do you feel deeply insulted by what Jin's mother did?"

"Don't worry about me, Hua. I would feel more upset if I am worrying you."

"I was glad you were there with me when I met Jin's mother. That was so unnerving...I feel cold. But then I remember that you are with me and I am safe. I feel safe everytime I am with you. I know no one can hurt me as long as you are close..."

"Thank you, my flower. You are right, no one can hurt you while I am around."

"And I won't let myself get hurt, Father. I swear..."

"Good. That lifted all my worries away..."

I am glad I lessen Father's worries by telling him that I won't let anyone hurt me. That I will protect myself. It's part of me fulfilling my promise to my brother. Dao sacrificed himself for me. My twin choosing to leave our home to serve as Crown Prince Han's close guard. I promised that I will live quietly and won't cause trouble for my family so Dao won't worry about me anymore.

So my twin can go and have his own adventures and take his own destiny.

I won't get hurt. I will be strong. I won't worry my family.

That's why even though the presence of Jin's mother proved unexpected and could potentially cause my family trouble, and may endanger my engagement as well, I want to assure Father that I am fine. We don't know all the variables yet. I think it will be too soon to panic and think my world is doomed just because Jin's mother disapproved of me.

I met disapproval before. This won't be any different. I will meet it head on. Hopefully with Jin beside me.

The two of us...being strong together.

But Jin choking on air when he learned from my Father who visited us this morning is not a good sign for us.

We are gathered in the library, having our after dinner tea when Father broke the news to Jin and Baba about who came to see me in the flesh.

"W-who...came here?" Jin's shocked eyes found my face. "Hua...?"

I nodded to confirm what he heard. "Your mother, Princess XiLen, came here to see me."

"My m-mother was here?" Jin looked utterly confuse. "As in here, in your home? In China?"

Father frowned at my fiance, "You mean you have no idea that Princess XiLen is here, your Highness?"

"No, Master Dayu." Jin grasped my hand gently in his hold. "I didn't know, Hua...why will my mother...?" The man I love looked baffled at the information that his mother has come back to her motherland.

"What about you?" Father turned to Baba who is quiet as he contemplates the situation. "Do you have an idea that the banished princess is here? What about the Emperor?"

"I didn't know," Baba shook his head. "And I think the Emperor has no idea as well. If he has, then he should have addressed this with his former brother in law, First Minister Tan. It looks to me like Princess XiLen came home without informing anyone."