Handpicked Truths

(DAYU)

I marched into the Imperial Palace with my servants behind me, carrying chests filled with severed head. I also have a box in my hand, holding the head of my daughter's Nanny's killer. Nadira.

The Palace ground is devoid of guards. Captain Wang and I already discussed this visit of mine here in the Palace. My lover knows about my plan to give back the gift Princess XiLen bestowed on us, so I am sure Captain Wang moved his soldiers and guard around so nothing can deter me on my mission to meet the banished princess.

I was graciously welcomed to the Moon Pavilion and was escorted by a servant of the Empress. Her Majesty was out of sight, this matter is not her concern. Which is right, this is between me and the mother of the Prince my daughter will marry.

Parent to parent. Princess XiLen and I must face each other and the fact that she failed to kill the woman her son will marry.

Such absurdness, her attempt to stop the nuptial of her son by attacking the bride to be. It's not even that original.

The palace servant took me in front of a massive door. He told me this was the room where Princess XiLen was placed as she is under house arrest.

"She is already waiting for you, Master." The servant bowed at me before walking away. I signaled one of my servant to open the door for me. When it was opened, I strode inside the room.

Upon entering, I immediately saw Princess XiLen sitting by a round table in the middle of the receiving room. I stepped aside to let my helpers take the chests inside the room. Once all the chests are inside, I dismissed my helpers. They bowed and left the room, leaving me alone with my quarry.

I strode deeper into the room to sit on the chair opposite of where Princess XiLen is sitting. I placed the box holding Nadira's head on the table between us.

Princess XiLen let out a ladylike snort, "I see we are dispensing respectful manners out of the window. Is not waiting for an invitation to sit down part of your charming ensemble, Master Dayu?"

I smiled at her, "Waiting is not my forte, I must admit. And why would I ask for your permission, this is not your house. You have the same rights to claim it as me. We are both visitors in this place." I reminded her of that.

The banished princess gave me a look full of disdain. "I was invited here,"

"You are a prisoner here." I won't stand for her delusions. "The only reason you are not being flogged at the dungeon like your Mughal servants is the unfortunate fact that you share blood with my daughter's fiance." I retorted back. "Now I, on the other hand, am invited to be here. Do you want to see the written invitation I have?"

I don't have a written invitation but asking me to show it will make Princess XiLen look weak. While I have no qualms being called a liar if that truth will be revealed. I have been called worse names than that.

I smiled again, "But lets not waste our time figuring out who is invited and uninvited between us when we all know you are unwanted here. I am here to give you back the gift you sent to us." I pushed the box with Nadira's head towards the princess.

Princess XiLen frowned as she reached for the box. "I don't remember sending a gift to you." She said before lifting the lid of the box. I watched for her reaction and she didn't give me much. Aside from a moment of freezing, Princess XiLen calmly closed the lid again. "And the contents of the chests?" She asked me.