Premonition

(WANG DAO)

Tonight is my second chance to show my qualifications to be the Crown Prince's personal guard. For almost one week, all I did is study with Captain Ching, take lessons with him and practice. Lots of practice. With swords.

All I learned from my Father and Captain Ching, I put to use. Trying also to improvise. It's hard. Father and Captain Ching has different concept of what a sword is to a soldier.

For Father, a sword is an extension of your hand. You can wield it to do what you want. But you are the weapon. Not the sword. Your hand, your body, your mind is the weapon. A sword is just a tool.

For Captain Ching, a sword is something you should learn. Every inch, every edge. A sword is like a breathing thing, it can kill. It's not a mere weapon, it can save or ruin lives. A sword is something you should be afraid to and depend upon. It's sometimes the only one standing between you and death.

Two conflicting ideas that I have to combine in my head.

So what I did is learn my sword and keep my body strong. I decided that both me and the sword are the weapon.

As I polish my sword, the one given to me by my Father, I started looking at it as my extension and weapon.

"Wang Dao," I woke up from thinking when someone called my name. I saw Prince Jin looking down at me.

"Prince Jin," I heard movements and saw the soldiers around scrambling to stand up in front of the oldest Prince of the Imperial Family. I winced, "Should I stand up?"

"No," Prince Jin said as he nodded to the soldiers around. I sighed and decided to stand up. "I didn't come here as a Prince but as your sister's fiance." Prince Jin clarified.

"Ah," I pity the man. "She is making you run errands now?"

"No," Prince Jin laughed. "She asked me sweetly to inquire about you."

Sweetly? What? "Hua asked you sweetly?"

Prince Jin grinned at me, "She might have given me a kiss or two," he said in a lowered tone. "And promised more if I do this for her,"

"Ah no!" I shook my head and step away from him. "No, I don't need to know that..."

Prince Jin shrugged, "Suit yourself. I am just telling you, I am here for my benefits and not for you. So, what should I tell her?"

I sighed, "Nothing. Tell her I am fine." I said. "And are you aware that this feels uncomfortable for me? I am still, in a sense, a civilian. I am not yet a guard here..."

"That is why I came to talk to you. In a sense, you are still unafilliated in this Palace," Prince Jin said. "Once you became the Crown Prince's personal guard, it will be harder to approach you. You know that, right?"

Yes, I studied that much. Once I became Crown Prince Han's personal guard, I more or less will gain access to the ear of the Crown Prince. I will be Prince Han's closest advisor. Raise a sword against me, is akin to threatening the life of the Crown Prince.

I sighed, "I understand."

Prince Jin nodded, "I knew this is my Baba's plan all along. To get both General Wang's children beside his sons. I once thought you will serve Guo once he became the Crown Prince but it's Han you will serve. I hope you are also learning things about my youngest brother and not just how you can protect him."

Prince Jin looked serious while saying that. "No, I am not asking around about Crown Prince Han. All I know about him are the things you told to Hua that she passed on to me. And gossips. Rumors about the Crown Prince. And I don't intend to know Prince Han until my appointment is secured that I will be his personal guard."