Preparations

(PRINCE GUO)

"Who did you say is coming?" Eyes widening, I scrambled to get out of my bed when Yong said something.

"The Empress is on her way here, Your Highness." My ever serious guard replied evenly.

"My mother?!" I look around, then at myself. "Do I look presentable? I haven't wash yet." I said worriedly as I smoothening my hands on myself.

"It is still quite early for your wash time, Your Highness. You just had your breakfast." Yong reminded me.

"Yes. So why is my mother coming here so early in the morning...?"

"I don't know," Yong said with a shake of his head. "But as an assurance, I can say that you look presentable enough, Your Highness."

"Do I...?" I didn't finish that question when the doors of my room opened unceremoniously and a herald came in sight. "Her Majesty...the Empress."

I quickly moved to the middle of my room. Smoothing my hands, one last time, on the simple white robe I am wearing. It was the clothes I slept in. At least my hair is neatly in place. I asked a servant to fix it after I woke up.

Yong placed himself behind me. We both bowed as my mother stepped inside my room.

"Your Majesty," I greeted my mother.

"My Prince Guo," my mother stopped in front of me. I straightened to gaze into her face. Unlike me, my mother is fully garb in her finest. As the Empress, she is perfectly dressed. She clearly woke early to start her day.

Unlike me...I do woke up at decent time but I am clearly not ready for any venture outside of my room. Sometimes proscastinating has its charm.

"To what do I owe this pleasure of your visit, Mother?" If before, I dread my mother visiting my room...now, she does this so seldomly. So seldom that there are times I am wishing she will come and pay attention to me, her first born.

The irony...really. Since my grandfather died, since the heir selection that placed the heir crown on Han's head, my mother made it painfully clear that she will give me a wide berth to decide my own life. Like how I asked her to.

But now that she is doing it...literally leaving me alone to live my life...I miss her interferences in it. I miss knowing that my mother still care enough to scold me or direct my life.

Nowadays, I treat it as my lucky day if I will see a glimpse of my mother looking at me.

But this morning, she is here. My mother graced me with her presence.

"I am here to inquire about your travel? How is the preparation for that?" My mother asked.

"It's going well, Your Majesty. We are just waiting for some letters to arrive about the conditions on the South, where I will go first. The Emperor also made some special plaque that we can carry as identification that will make traveling easy for us." I said.

"Good," My mother nodded. "I am here to say that I will throw a banquet in your honor." She added.

I stopped at that. "A banquet? When? Why?"

"Three days from now. To wish you luck in your travel. So your sire and I can bless your journey." The Empress answered in a matter of fact tone.

I nodded my understanding. "I am glad for your well wishes...but is a banquet really necessary?" I frowned a little. "Maybe a simple dinner affair will be enough..."