Shadows

(WANG DAO)

"My betrothed is here?" Crown Prince Han lowered the bow in his hand. He was poised to release an arrow when a servant came forward to report to us that Her Majesty, the Empress, is currently in the Moon Garden, having tea with Lady Jiang ShuYin and her guardian.

The guardian is probably Uncle Mei. I know my uncle will never let ShuYin go here in the Palace alone. I wonder if I can sneak out to say hello to my uncle and cousin. I sure miss seeing our ShuYin.

But the Crown Prince made the decision for me.

"And so what?" Crown Prince Han put up his bow again. Intent on eyeing his target. A wood board some meters away. "I don't have any desire to see Jiang ShuYin's face."

"Why not?" I asked in curiosity. "If the betrothal evolved into an engagement, its almost a done deal that you will marry Lady Jiang." I added.

"An engagement can be cancelled." The Heir to the Throne said easily. "I don't have to waste my time on her if she is not my bride yet."

Crown Prince Han released the arrow. It flew but didn't hit its mark. He is clearly distracted.

I smiled at that. "I remember being your age and thinking that girls are ugly." I added in amusement. Heck, I remember once saying that ShuYin is ugly. But she was a wrinkly baby back then and I thought I was being brilliant.

I was stupid. Uncle Jiang was right, soon enough I found girls really enjoyable to have as company.

"Is she ugly? Jiang ShuYin..."

I stared intently at my Prince. "She is my cousin." I said.

"That didn't answer my question." Crown Prince Han glared back at me.

I nodded. "Fair enough. She is lovely. ShuYin is lovely."

"Of course you will say that. She is your cousin," The Heir pouted. Goodness he is immature.

I sighed. "Well what do you want me to say?" I asked him.

The Crown Prince put down his weapon on the table and faced me. "Tell me your honest opinion." He said.

I smiled again. "She is lovely. Jiang ShuYin is a lovely girl." And you don't deserve her, you immature brat. I added that in my brain. One day, I will voice it out loud to the Crown Prince but not yet.

The Crown Prince nodded. "I see. Then she is lovely. But still, I am not curious enough to desire to meet her."

Lying little rascal. Even if Crown Prince Han deny it, I can read the shadowed interest in his eyes when to comes to the little lady he was betrothed with.

But once again, I didn't call him about it. Instead...

"Fair enough," I nodded. "So lets continue with your bow and arrows." I gestured at the weapon lying on the table.

"I don't like archery," my Prince pouted again. I tend to agree. Archery is also not my strong suit. But still...

"You have to learn. Your brother, Prince Guo, is an expert archer. Prince Jin is also fairly decent in bow. You are the heir, this cannot be a weakness to you." I said.