Presence

(WANG DAO)

In the end, Crown Prince Han still got his way.

With Father's help and permission, Crown Prince Han got the go signal to play in the lake. I protested, of course. Laying out the excuse that the Crown Prince doesn't have a change of clothes and his robes musn't get wet.

"I still have some of your old clothes that won't fit you anymore in storage. They are in great shape and I think they will fit the Crown Prince nicely."

"Why do you still have them? I thought you gave those away?"

My Father gave me an insulted look.

"Why would I give them all away, they were yours. I decided to keep some pairs, some of your favorites. Something to remind me that you were small once..."

I groaned. "Father..."

Father scowled at me. "I don't want to hear any protest from you. Ready your Prince for a romp on the lake as I ready a change of clothes for him..."

"You will let the Crown Prince wear my old clothes. That's..."

One of my Father's eyebrow shoot up. "You heard me when I said they are still in great shapes, right? If not, I can repeat it."

I winced as I took a step away from him. I think my Father is getting annoyed at me. "I heard, Father." I mumbled humbly.

"Good. Then I will assume you also heard my order for you to ready the Crown Prince to play in the lake."

I stopped arguing with my Father because it's like having a combat with Hua, one will just lose in the end.

So I am here now, standing alone on the stone bridge, watching my ward squeal and laugh in delight as he was surmerged on the knee deep part of the lake. Playing with him is Prince Jin, who also rolled up his pants to join the heir on the water as Hua laugh with them while letting her feet, just her feet, get wet.

The two Princes sway their arms and spray water at each other. Clearly having fun. I sighed as I admitted the truth that it's great to see Crown Prince Han enjoying himself while spending time with his brother. Since Prince Guo left, the Palace became a little quieter, a little less hectic. The Second Prince is known for his lighthearted banters and charming presence. There is an undeniable void in the Palace when Prince Guo left to travel with his guards.

"Wang Dao!" The Crown Prince called my name, waving at me with that happy smile on his face. I raise my arm to wave back at him.

I stopped waving when someone stood next to me. A sweet scent teased my nose as Princess Nadira flipped her hair away from her neck.

"He is a lively child, isn't he?" She said with an amuse tone on her voice.

"A lively Prince," I corrected her. "He is no simple child. He is the Crown Prince." For some reason, I cannot keep the slight annoyance on my tone from mixing with my words.

Nadira turned her body on me. She gave me a hurt look. "I think we have to be honest with each other. I will be frank with you Wang Dao, and I will appreciate it if you will be frank to me as well. Can you do that?"

"I can," I nodded as I turned my body to face her. Princess Nadira's eyes and mine meet. She sighed, "I am having this thought that you don't like me. Why don't you like me?"

Well, at least she is perspective. And since she wants honesty, I will give it to her like I promised.

"Because the banished princess took you here to challenge my sister's position on Prince Jin's heart." I said. "Your presence is an insult to my sister's engagement to the First Born Prince."