Humiliated

(WANG DAO)

Two days later, I found myself shadowing Crown Prince Han as we weave our way on the Imperial ground from his one lesson to the next.

"Do I really have to learn how to fish?" The heir to the throne wondered loudly.

"Even Emperors had to have some hobbies," I said in response.

Crown Prince Han stopped walking to turn around and face me. "I like sleeping, that's a hobby, right?" He inquired seriously.

I sighed at him. "Even Emperors had to have at least some active hobbies," I amended my answer awhile ago to suit his argument.

"I like annoying you. And persuading you to run with me." His Highness snapped his fingers. "I also like riding a horse. That's an active hobby,"

I nodded. "True. But it's essential that you have varieties in your hobbies. Besides, learning to fish could come handy for you one day,"

"How? How will it become handy?" Crown Prince Han asked with a slight frown on his face.

I shrugged, "I don't know. You might find yourself alone in a forest and your have to camp there. You saw a river with fishes, you need to eat so you will need to fish the food you need to fill your belly,"

"Why do I have to do that? Where are you in that scenario? Why am I alone? Did you abandon me?" My ward fired those questions rapidly he almost made me dizzy.

"No. I didn't abandon. I would never do that. We probably got separated. You know...things happen for reasons." I said.

"What reason? What could possibly separate us?" The heir has too much questions. And I am obligated to answer them in the best way I can.

But the best answer I got for that was..."I don't know. It just happened. This is all hypothetical, my Prince. But in the end, you will need skills to fend for yourself. This is part of you getting strong to be a great ruler. If you will depend on me on everything, how will you rule when I am gone or not by your side. Don't depend on me. First, depend and trust yourself." I said.

Crown Prince Han turned silent as he processed what I said on his head. Then he nodded. "I understand..."

"Good," I sighed again. Reasoning with Prince Han is not hard. Arguing with him could be fun too. The heir is an intelligent boy. His reasonings are sound. His questions intriguing at times.

But I think I am not in a good mood to exchange arguments with my Prince. Not when I still feel unsettled with the issue of that presence that bugs my head and thoughts.

I took a deep breath to push that problem aside. I have to focus on guarding my Crown Prince. Staying vigilant about the heir's security will ensure both our safety and continued health.

"But you will make true of your promise, right Wang Dao? You said I don't have to practice too hard on bows and arrrows." The Crown Prince said.

"Yes. I will keep my promise. Just show some minimum interest in your archery lessons, enough to satisfy Captain Ching and I will teach you how to throw daggers," I said.

His Highness smiled at me. Showing one crooked tooth that adds charm to his smile. In truth, the heir shows definite talent in dagger handling. His throwing hand is pretty decent. His speed, promising. There are rooms to improve but we have solid grounds to stand on as foundation for what Crown Prince Han wants to achieve.