Crown Prince's Guard

(WANG DAO)

I can feel my body healing. The progress is gradual...but it is happening. It may not be as fast as I prefer but I will take it. As days pass by, my movements became less stiff and the bruises are fading.

I can wash myself now. And bind my chest by my own as well. Breathing is now also easier. Walking around helps to keep me limber and mobile but running is still out of the question. The physicians are all prohibiting me from overtasking my healing body.

While healing, walking around the Palace of the Crown Prince during the night became a new hobby for me. I will walk through the pathways and gardens while taking in the night air. It gave me time to think about my mistakes during my tests and to miss my family.

But the shadows are comforting me. The night...serving like a balm to my soul and body. I like it...

Night time.

And during one of my solitary walk, I encountered the one person I expected to visit me.

"Your Highness," I bowed respectfully to my Crown Prince.

"Leave us alone," Crown Prince Han dismissed his guards.

The guards, three of them, left in obedience. I almost rolled my eyes.

Crown Prince Han smiled at me, "Why? If you were in their position..."

"I will never leave your side." I said in all honesty.

"Why?" The heir frowned. "I ordered you to leave, why won't you obey me?" The young Crown Prince is genuinely surprised at my response.

"And leave you defenseless against a guard I just saw challenged the Master General?" I shook my head. "If I am your guard, even though the other party is still weak from his injury, I will never leave you alone and defenseless. Even if you order me to leave, I will never leave you..."

"You will be a stubborn guard, am I right?" Crown Prince Han sighed like he already know the answer to his question.

"Not at all," I said to surprise him. "I can compromise with my Crown Prince. I can leave if you want. But not until I am sure about your safety and your defense."

"My safety will be your priority, you are saying that...?"

I nodded, "Always, my Crown Prince." I bowed my head to him.

"I will only be safe if I am strong. If I will make wise decisions. If I will trust the right people. Then I will be safe..." Crown Prince Han said. "Won't you agree?"

I nodded, "You are right my Crown Prince. If you are physically strong, wise and surrounded by people who are loyal to you, then you will be safe. I see that you are wise..."

Crown Prince Han smiled again. "People here in this Palace always talks about my two older brothers. For them, Prince Jin is the wise one. Prince Guo is charismatic one. They overlooked me."

"And you like that, I can see." I commented evenly.

The heir nodded, "By being overlooked, I can do the looking myself. I observe people to make a conclusion on them. It became a hobby. I observed you..."

"And may I inquire about your conclusion on me, if I might be so bold."

"You don't like to be here," Crown Prince Han said unhesitantly. "You have reservations. You are not fully satisfied with your situation here."