Announcement

(WANG HUA)

"I don't understand it," Father started as he sits beside me while contemplating the gift Prince Jin sent to me the night before. It's a painting of a flower that is about to bloom. Prince Jin's extraordinary talent of capturing a specific moment and express that on a canvass is trult astouding. I could sit here and stare at this painting for days and patiently wait if this flower will truly move to open up and bloom.

"What is the confusing part, Father?" I asked as I sighed while still staring at the painting.

"He clearly loves you but he is leaving to go with his mother back to the South Indes. Why?" Father was puzzled.

"I don't know. He must have his reasons, though. Jin is not someone who does thing just because he feels like it. He thinks," I simply said.

"Hua," Father held my shoulder to make me look at him. "Are you alright? This must be frustrating for you. Your fiance is leaving."

"Just for a year, Father." I answered with a little smile to my Father. "Jin sent me a letter with this painting. He apologized for not being able to say goodbye personally, he said he is afraid he will never leave if he will see my face. But he promised to be back after a year. Just in time for us to start getting ready for our wedding. He wants it to be a lavish event. We still have a year and a half of waiting for that day to come. I think there is no harm for Jin to spend some time away during that waiting period. Do you want to see his letter to me? Read it too."

Father stared at me in silence. I know he is trying to gauge the sincerity of my understanding in Jin's decision to leave the Middle Kingdom to spend a year with his mother.

"Is this truly fine with you? That woman ordered an attack on us. Prince Jin will be close to that woman for a year." Father is clearly concern for Jin.

That thought made me smile. "Jin is her son, surely Jin's mother won't plot to kill her own son."

"I will not let anything pass on that woman. I don't know what she is capable of doing or not doing anymore." Father grumbled.

True. In truth, I am scared for Jin. I am scared of his mother. She is proving to be a selfish player on this game. Out to get what she wants, no matter the method she needs to do to get it. But every ambitious person can have that way of thinking. Every entitled person could think that way too. I think Jin's mother is both: ambitious and entitled.

It's too bad she is Jin's mother.

"It will be fine, Father." I said. If it's a lie, I couldn't admit to that.

"I think it's inconsiderate of him. There is no guarantee that you will marry him," Father snickered. I clamped my lips to avoid smiling at him. I still find it hard to feel enthusiastic about anything. I find nothing amusing nowadays. I'm missing my Nanny and there are times I am the hardest person to handle in our estate. But Father is being amusing now. "I mean, this new development is making me want to look for other option for you."

"Who will have the courage to pursue me when its widely known that I am General Wang's daughter and engaged to a Prince?" Does a stupid person like that exists in this world?

"Even so, what if your Prince get into trouble in the Mughal Kingdom. I think we should open our options, Hua." Father said. "I mean, I understand for loyalty and all...but nothing is guaranteed into this world. Maybe, your fate is not with Prince Jin. Huh? What do you think?"

"About what?" Is there a question that needs to be answered in my Father's words?

Father sighed. "About entertaining other options for you. What if we discreetly find another suitor for you? Start another process of finding a groom for you. Just to be safe." He explained.