The Potential Guard

(GENERAL WANG QING)

"I told you, my son will not be tamed like this," I said to my generals as we sat down around the meeting table in a big room inside the military office building. This building that holds all the offices of major officials in this base.

"I will be better than you. A better soldier. A better general. I will be a better Wang. Or at least die trying."

Such passionate words from my fifteen year old son. I can not be more proud of him.

Because that is what I want. For Wang Dao to be bigger than me. Better than me. More respected than me. My son has the right idea in his mind.

But my son being angry that this cheap antics my generals has concocted, that I will admit to permitting to happen, had pricked his pride.

All because these generals want to tame and control my son.

"The Emperor has a mind to put your son as the next person in charge for the protection of the Crown Prince. We have to know that your son is one of us, General Wang." General Teng, an official in charge of the basic training and recruiting of soldiers, voiced out.

"One of us? What does that mean? My son will not ally himself with anyone. He is someone that does the job given to him. No more, no less." I said.

I know my son. Even though Dayu gave most of the efforts in raising our twins, I still know my children. Dao in particular, is someone who has no patience for politics but can play well in that arena. Something these generals must never be aware of.

Dao got that from Dayu. His interest in intrigue, scheming and planning. Dao had taken after Dayu in that sense. But my son is still impatient. And stubborn.

"But is testing him was truly unnecessary? Wang Dao is loyal to the Crown and to the Imperial Family." I said in my son's defense.

"But how can we be sure that your son will coordinate with the other officials surrounding the Crown Prince?" General KaiXing asked. He, and another general, are in charge of managing the money of the military base. They both report to me.

My right eyebrow raised at that question. "If you are asking if Wang Dao is someone easily manipulated or easy to bribe or someone who will put his loyalty to a personal friend over his loyalty to the Imperial Family and the nation, then I can all assure you, my son will only be loyal to his duties. Not to people."

"That is a problem," Master ElTang, my chief aide, said with a worried frown in his face, "Master Wang Dao looks like a person who will be loyal to his duty but unpersonable. He looks intimidating and unapproachable, Master General. I am sorry to say this, but your son looks brooding and even a loner."

Ah yes, I know that this will be a problem. Wang Dao being self reliant and self absorb. My son, at this point, is not a team player. He is a lone fighter. Much like his Father.

"The "Shadow" works alone..."

Ah yes, Dao would have the making of a great spy and assassin like Dayu and Master Shu. If Master Shu is alive, he would have loved to train Dao.

But my son will not inherit Dayu's assassin persona. Dao wants to be a soldier and a general like me. His work is cut out for him.

"And you think humiliating him in front of hundreds of people and making a spectacle out of him will miraculously turn my son into a personable person. An approachable person? I don't think so." These generals are doing their hardest to make me laugh. Or annoy me. I don't know which is which.