Hallways

(WANG DAO)

"That was truly impressive!" Elation and excitement are easy to read in Hua's face as she greeted me after the exhibition I did with Yong and Manchu, Prince Guo's guards.

"I have never seen you that fast before," Hua added. "And why did you twist your wrist like that when you were releasing your daggers? When did you start doing that?"

I smiled at my sister, glad to see that she noticed that one trick I tried to do. "About a month ago. I was bored and practicing with my throw hand, I discover that if I twist my wrist a little before releasing my daggers or steel pike, I can hit my target better."

"That's amazing," Hua is obviously impressed.

Prince Guo clapped. "Amazing indeed. All of you. Now, if my soon to be sister in law would refrain from showing how skilled she is in tracking combat moves, we might have a chance at salvaging her reputation. People are watching,"

Hua's cheeks flushed as we all realized that some eyes are on us, not on the performace now happening on the middle of the banquet hall.

"Hua is just interested in the changes on her brother's fighting skill. No need to be too strict on her," Prince Jin is immediately on my sister's defense. "But even so, Guo is right, eyes are on us. We must be careful, my love. My mother is watching."

Ah yes, the delightful banished princess, Princess XiLen. That one will surely relish once Hua made mistakes during this banquet.

Hua nodded. "I will," she opened her fan and move it up and down as distraction.

"Who won?" Prince Guo changes the subject. "Someone won, right?"

"Obviously it's me," I claimed that victory. "It's two against one and I held my ground."

Yong snickered, "In what moment did you win? When Manchu almost skewer you with his sword or when my spear got close to slicing you?"

I sneered back at him. "It's when I got you down on your back with a knife on your throat and I almost blinded your bestfriend."

"Oh..." the two Princes has the same impressed reaction to what I said.

"I won that fight," Manchu joined the victory claiming. "I could easily have defeated Wang Dao and Yong is already too tired to fight me. This discussion is over."

Yong and I scowled at him. "You cannot do that. Declare yourself as the winner and then close the argument." I felt a bitter taste on my mouth at the thought of losing to this moron.

Manchu glared at me. "I will acknowledge your sword skill but we both know I am still a better swordsman than you. Let's do it this way, I will come back after two years of travelling with the second Prince and Yong then you and I can have a rematch. Let's do this every two years until you defeat me or I defeat you. Deal?"

"Deal," I didn't even have to think too much about his offer. Manchu is right, I am good but he is better at sword fight than me. I will need to learn more moves from Father and improve to match Manchu.

We looked at Yong who shrugged. "Swords...it's for brats. Spears are always better."

"He won't participate. It's you and me then." Manchu and I ignored Yong as we shook hands. Hua giggled at us.