Remain Alive

(WANG DAO)

There are differences and similarities in training under my Father and in doing it under the command of Captain Ching.

Captain Ching is no trainor but he knows how a soldier should move. He is also knowledgeable in surviving in different places. And things to do in different difficult circumstances.

"What to do when you are running out of water. What to do when you are being chased in the forest. When you are wounded critically. When you are surrounded. When you are pushed against the end of a cliff," Captain gave me different scenarios. "The first thing you should do..."

Remain alive, I thought. Because that is what Father hammered to us.

Remain alive. Stay alive. Until we came to help you.

"Remain alive," Captain Ching echoed my mind. "You always have to be alive so you can plan what next to do. If you are captured, remain docile until you have formulated a plan to escape. Endure torture as long as you can. Charm your way out of a sticky situation. Do anything to stay alive. That is the most important thing for a soldier. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir. I will stay alive so I can protect the Crown Prince," I said.

"Correct. You fall, the Crown Prince will be in peril. Your job is to survive to protect the Heir to the Throne. The only time you are allowed to die is to save your Crown Prince," Captain Ching insisted on those things.

I live for the Crown Prince. My life is forfeited to protecting him.

"I should treat him like he is Hua," I mumbled to myself.

"What did you say?" Captain Ching narrowed his eyes on me. "Something about Lady Wang,"

I sighed, "I said, I should protect the Crown Prince like how I promised to protect my sister, Wang Hua. For Hua, I am willing to give my life so I can protect her. She is that precious to me,"

Captain Ching snorted, "You have never fallen for someone else, have you Master Dao?"

"What does that got to do with me wanting to protect my sister?" I asked.

"Well, once you found a person who you will love with all your heart, you will forget about giving your life up for your sister. You will want to stay alive for that person." Captain Ching said.

I frowned at him, "And you know this...how? Do you have a person like that in your life, Sir?"

"Of course," Captain Ching grinned at me. "I am married, Wang Dao. With children too,"

That...surprises me. "You...are married, Sir?"

Captain Ching narrowed his eyes on me again, "And why do you sound amazed at that? I am married, does that offend your logic? Why? Do I look like someone who is not worthy of being loved?"

"No, Sir!" I shook my head frantically when I finally realized that I somehow offended him. "That is not what I mean..."

Captain Ching laughed, "I am just playing you, don't be too serious, Wang Dao." The Captain hit my shoulder as he kept on laughing.

"Ah...ha ha..." I gave off awkward laughters. Captain Ching is not funny at all. And I almost screamed when he turned serious again. "But yes, I have a wife and two children. Lovely girls. Age six and four. I love them."