A Demonstration

(GENERAL WANG QING)

I watched with the other officials in the Palace of the Crown Prince as my son did exactly as I told him.

Like a good soldier, Dao did what I ordered him to do. He shows his impressive skills in dagger and steel spikes but kept his knowledge of the sword tightly hidden. His moves with the swords are jerky, impatient and a bit clumsy.

In short, officials sees that my son needs improving in his sword skills.

In archery, Dao did what he usually do, he released the arrows too early, too swiftly. I don't need to order him to botch this one. As always, patience defeated my son. In archery, where patience is all that counts, my son showed just how much patience he has on his body.

Little.

But over all, I think Dao impressed the people he needs to impress with his first showing of skill. After this demonstration, he will train with different trainors for two weeks to improve his skills and he will have this kind of showing again by the end of each week. Dao had to show massive improvements and he needs to prove to everyone that he can guard the Crown Prince zealously with his skills and body.

It will be a tough undertaking but no Wang had walked away from his fate. And Dao is a Wang, through and through. He will rise to the challenge and win in the end.

I know my son. Losing is not something he even contemplates. Losing is not on his sight. Losing is not an option.

After the demonstration, Dao stood before his judges.

"You surely know your weapons," General Bam said. "Although most of them you haven't mastered yet."

"I will work hard to improve them, General." Dao, chest still heaving from that sword fight against two skilled soldiers, replied respectfully.

Captain Ching clucked his tongue, "And here I thought he is perfect. Seeing as he is a Wang." The Captain smiled at me. "It's a jest, Master General. Your son is impressive."

"The fact that he didn't die after fighting two swords at the same time, I am impressed already," I said in a bored tone. "But you are right, General Bam. There are rooms for improvement."

"Lots of room, General Wang." General Bam nodded at me. "What can you say, First Minister Tan?" We all turned at the fourth man sitting in that table that witnessed Dao's show of skills.

First Minister Tan is Prince Jin's Uncle and the most powerful man in the Emperor's Council now. He got that position after the Emperor pulled his own father in law away from it.

First Minister Tan will write the report for the Emperor and Empress who also had a tantamount interest in the next guard for the Crown Prince.

"He is your son, General. That fact became an advantage and disadvantage to him," First Minister said. "On one side, we are aware that he got set of skills and they are quite impressive, for sure, like what Captain Ching said. But on the other side, being a Wang, I personally expected more and although Wang Dao is impressive, he doesn't met my expectations. Maybe they were too high and it's my fault or the boy is really lacking, we will know after his two weeks of rigorous training. All in all, I am hopeful for him, generals. He is a promising candidate."

That is a fair judgement for my son. I am happy with that.

But...

"Is there another candidate?" I don't think I like that. I thought my son is the only choice for the job. Handpicked by the Emperor himself.