A Guard's Mettle

(GENERAL WANG QING)

Dao is Dayu's son. He is as crazy as his Father. Crazy about winning and proving himself.

As my son stood up and wipe the blood on his lips like it's nothing, I finally understood why Dao is doing this.

He is showing me how much he admires his Father. Because Dao is Dayu's son. He does all his Father's moves. Copying them to perfection. The speed, the technique, the footworks.

All Dayu's.

The only difference is the strength. Dao lacks the experience, muscles and motivation as he fight.

Oh, my son desires that Crown Prince Guard position but compared that to Dayu's desire to kill everyone in the name of avenging his mother, Dao's motivation is absolutely lacking.

But the promise was there. The cockiness is surely present.

Dao got ready again. This time without his sword sheath. Instead, Dao brought something more wicked to this fight.

His dagger...

He produced a dagger in a blink of an eye. The blade glistening when light touched it. Perfectly sharp. Totally wicked.

I heard the loud surprised sounds produced by the spectators watching us. They also have no idea how Dao produced a dagger that fast. Well, that is my son. Fast with many sharp surprises on his sleeves. I meant that literally.

Dao and his daggers mean business. I know how deadly my son is with his daggers in hand.

That's my clue to be careful.

I watched my son's feet. I always anticipate Dayu's moves while watching my lover's feet. If I am lucky, my guess will be correct and I can block his attack. I find myself in a unique position of applying the same priciple and technique on fighting with my own son.

How...about that...? Father and son, truly headaches, both of them. I sighed and readied myself.

Dao's feet kicked off the ground. His speed is on a much higher level than someone who was supposed to be a beginner is military training. But then again my son is not accustomed to military training, he trained under the watchful eyes of a former assassin.

And like his Father, Dao has a clear objective in his mind as he attacked me.

He wants me to move. Going side by side, swinging his sword with all his might, moving at top speed, pivoting right and left, dodging my counter attacks and, once in a while, getting too close to slash that dagger close to my body and head.

Damn cheeky Wang bastard. When did my son started being too bold as to weild that dagger with an intent to hurt me? His own sire...

This boy needs a lesson.

So I called forth my strength and planted my feet on the ground where I am standing. Dao moved to get behind me. He is thinking of finding my blind spot and attacking me from there. Of course I am not gonna let him achieve that.

On the next swing of Dao's sword, it almost hit the side of my body, but instead of moving away from it, I took a big step forward and with a fast hand, I grabbed my son's arm. Holding him fast and tight.

"Shit!" I heard Dao cursed crisply and he moved his leg to kick my lower body. Trying disarm me enough so he can escape my hold.