Knowledge

(WANG HUA)

So early in the morning yet a surprise was already waiting for me when I went downstairs.

"An invitation from the Empress? Am I reading this right, Nanny?" I showed the message I received to my Nanny and Nana, Dao's Nanny.

"I think what you read is right, child." Nana said. "The Empress is calling for you."

"But why?" This is puzzling. Why would the Empress suddenly called for me. "Is there a problem in the Palace? Oh but wait, if there is a problem, why would they call me? I mean, who am I to fix anything in the Palace? Is this about my twin? Did Dao had a mishap while guarding the Crown Prince? But that's impossible...my brother is perfect." I said, my tone filled with pride for my brother.

Nanny chuckled. "You are like Master Dayu when you think. Your mind wanders everywhere."

"Maybe you should just answer that. Will you accept the invitation, child?" Nana asked.

"Should I?" I sighed. "Baba and Father didn't leave any instruction on what I should do if I get an invitation to the Palace."

"Maybe you should consult your fiance or Master Mei so you can decide." Nanny suggested.

I processed that in my mind and made a decision. "I think I should decide about this by myself. Father taught me to look at things and make decisions based on the variables given to me, I should use that knowledge."

Father adviced me to watch him make decisions around our home and estate. He said by watching, I could learn more than by reading or memorizing steps on how to be a homecarer like him. I should see his mistakes and learn from them, also see what I can improve or change to suit my values and principles.

"Even if I raise you, you are still a different person from me. There is no need to emulate all my methods. You can make decisions of your own, based on your principles..."

He trusts me...my Father. That warms my heart.

I stared at the parchment on my hand. Thinking hard on what I should do.

"Prince Guo already left for his travel with Yong and Manchu. Crown Prince Han is being guarded by my brother. The only thing occupying the Empress' time is the Palace and Princess Cai," I sighed upon remembering the Princess. She and I didn't exactly became friends when I was her playmate.

"Prince Jin won't mind. We are not scheduled to see each other this week. He is busy sorting out the things he will take when he started living here, on the Prince's Pavilion. I am free. The Empress might also be free. So..."

"So?" Both Nanny and Nana stared at me. I smiled at them. I took a parchment and quill and started writing a response for the Empress. "Send this to the Palace, please. I will see her Majesty tomorrow." I told my nannies as I pass my answer to them.

Both my nannies sighed but they nodded. I think they agreed with my decision. Or at least respect it

Is it the right decision? I don't know. But I think I want to know what her Majesty would like to say to me.

It's time for me to face her.

                     .............................