Burden

(WANG DAO)

Only Hua escorted me outside to send me off. Our parents already retired to their room.

"Are you alright? Baba said some harsh words during dinner while lecturing us." I asked my sister with concern.

I do get why Baba can be disappointed with how Hua and I acted during dinner. But I think my sister took the blunt of our sire's annoyance on us.

"I am fine." Hua looked up at me. "I think Baba is distracted."

I frowned at that. "Why do you say that? He seems normal enough to me..."

Hua smiled, "Ah, it's because you were not here when Auntie YingYing visited."

My eyes widened, "Auntie YingYing visited? When? Oh, I am missing visiting relatives now too?"

Auntie YingYing is Baba's youngest sister. She lives in Shanxi, just four hours of travel from the Capital.

"Around the time Jin's mother came to see me," Hua sighed. "Auntie seeks Baba and they talked but when Baba came back from their conversation, he looked distracted."

"I see. Maybe that is the reason why Baba and Father are traveling..." the reason why my parents are leaving is a source of curiosity for me.

Hua shook her head. "I don't think so. I think I know the reason why Father and Baba are going away alone..."

I frowned again. My sister sounded confident about her guess, "Really? Then tell me, what is the reason for their travel this time?" I crossed my arms on my chest.

"It's to commemorate Father's tenth year with us." Hua uttered gleefully.

My scowl deepened. "Has it been ten years already?"

Hua's smile vanishes, "Yes. Don't you remember, around this time, ten years ago, we moved here in Wang Estate when it was still newly built and shortly after that, we met Father. You don't remember?"

My sister looked irritated that I forgot about the date of our Father's arrival in our lives.

"Well, I remember the moment we came here and when we met Father but I didn't memorize the exact date," I snorted while defending myself. "And really, it's been ten years already? Where did all those time went?"

Hua sighed, "Father's time were consumed taking care of us. Baba with doing his work. I took that time to heal myself. You took the time for growing up. That's where the time went, Dao ah."

"Ah...okay..." I chuckled while scratching my cheek. "I guess it's been that long already."

"They will travel so they can spend some time alone. Father and Baba had been working hard to provide and care for us. Now that I am getting ready to get married and you are starting your military career...I think it's time our parents give time to each other."

"You have a point," I agreed with my sister's sentiment. "Well, I will sure work hard to earn my own name and money so Baba and Father would have less worry."

"I will work hard too. Be careful on your way, Dao ah."

I nodded, "I will just meet my friends and then...do something." I don't want to explain that something to my innocent sister. "Goodnight, Hua." I waved at my sister before moving to where my horse is waiting.

While riding outside to meet my friends, I am still marveling on the fact that it's been ten years already since our lives were changed when Father came into our lives.

I guess, the arrival of one person can really change people's lives.

...................