Should We Neuter Them?

Kittens.

I am staring at ten kittens.

And they're staring back at me, their little kitty faces conveying the same expression that swells up within me. 

"What. The. Hell." I repeat, tone curling into a dark growl.

This has to be some sort of joke, right? It's bad enough I have to deal with Daniel's bullshit today, I don't need ten more little problems thrown into the mixing bowl. I frown and close my eyes, slumping back against the seat. My fingers curl around the steering wheel tightly, knuckles turning bone white, and I'm really glad I'm still in park. Taking several deep breaths, I wait until I have full control over my emotions until I turn back to the box and examine the kitties once more.

They're each unique, yet cute.

One, with a bright, silver pelt, has sunk his claws into the side of the box, trying hard to climb up the side. A brown one, with little black lines circling around random parts of his little body, watches with strange neon green eyes. He looks severely irritated and ready to swipe at the silver one. A kitty with a black body and a bright, orange face that swirls like a lollipop runs around wildly within the box, trotting happily. His blonde companion, with big blue eyes-although one is hidden beneath a tuft of hair-glares at him angrily and hisses, pawing at Swirly's side. A crimson red kitty, with dull brown eyes, simply stares at them, bored. There's a big burly blue one, with gill like lines beneath his dark eyes, and a sleek black kitty beside him, with crimson eyes. Three kitties huddle around in a group, all three staring at me expectantly. One has strange, silverish eyes with a bright orange pelt and strange little black dots scattered about his body. The girl beside him-I can tell she's a girl because she's the smallest and the most...feminine-is a soft indigo color with almond brown eyes. And last but not least is the little half and half cat. It looks as if someone's dipped half the poor kitty into a bucket of white paint and then the other half into a bucked of black. He has sandy brown eyes.

"Alright." I huff, narrowing my eyes at the kitties as they pause and turn their attention to me. "I will take you in. But you have to wait in the car until I kick my brother's ass, alright? Then we can go home and we'll get you fed and some rest. Slick," I tap the black kitten's head lightly so he knows I'm talking to him, "You're in charge while I'm gone. Don't leave the box."

He doesn't respond, but several of the kittens meow in protest.

I straighten back over to my side and put the car in drive. I'm eighteen now, but since I took several college courses before I graduated from high school, I'm considered a Junior. My brother is fourteen and a freshman in high school now. He's under my care because my parent's died in a car accident several years back and I refused to let him be shipped off to some foster home.

It takes me twenty minutes to get to the high school, when it really should've taken me forty. But when I'm pissed, my foot tends to press the gas pedal against the floor.

I zip into the roundabout and put it in park. I decide to leave it going for the kittens. "Remember, Slick is in charge. If anything happens to my car while I'm gone, I'm going to drown you all in acid." I glare at them menacingly. I don't mean it, but they don't need to know that.

Grabbing my purse, I dig around for the spare key and lock it as I climb out. I slam the door shut and march around my car, brown eyes narrowed with anger. I almost rip the door off it's hinges when I wrench it open and step into the facility. The secretary looks up, eyes widening at the small mousy brunette with the infuriated look on her face as she marches over to the desk.

"I'm Alex Valentine. I'm here for Danny." I growl at her.

She blinks and then nods. The woman's a tramp, with her dyed blonde tresses pulled up into a half-assed bun and her bright, flaming red lips. Don't get me wrong, on occasion, I don't mind wearing bright red lipstick, but she overloads it with the rest of her makeup and her stingy hot pink dress doesn't go with anything at all.