Chapter 9

~ Matt's POV ~

"Matt? You alright? You're just standing there."

I tried to ignore the familiar feeling spreading from the center of my chest, doing my best to smile, "I'm f-fine." I grabbed my bag quickly, "I-I need to go."

"You're not even changed yet- H-Hey! Matt!"

I didn't hear what else he said, pushing past a few people to a side door that leads to the hall. I dashed out of the change room, gritting my teeth hard at the slight pain and dizziness. I went out straight across the hall to the bathroom - it was the only close secluded place. I went into one of the stalls, gasping for breath and gripping at my chest.

Not now, not at school... Afterward would have been better, but now is not a good fucking time for this condition. I need... I need to stay calm... It's just a bit of pain so far, I can fucking take it, I've taken more pain than this before... God, it's at my neck already... Just...calm...deep breaths...focus... Sarkis... Call Sarkis.

My arm was shaking, but I managed to pull out my phone, navigating the menus and calling Sarkis. He picked up on the first ring, "Hey, Matt-" He paused, and he must have heard my breathing because his tone changed completely, "-Oh shit, where are you?"

"Th-The bathroom," I grunted out, my eyes watering as the pain increased.

"Okay, just listen to me. Close your eyes, focus, stay calm, you got this. Remember, if you have to, it's a snap of the wrist, just like Tezlus told you..."

He kept saying supportive things, got me to, take deep breaths...he did what he always did. Thankfully, just supporting me worked this time, no magic required. It's fading... The pain and fear is fading... Everything's fine, pain is gone...all's well.

"F-Fucking hell that was close..." I mumbled, still leaning on the wall, dizzy and still in a bit of shock.

Sarkis sighed, "You good?"

"More or less..." I took some deep breaths.

"Okay... Are you sure you're good for the rest of the day?"

"...Yeah... Yeah, I am..." I rubbed my eyes, "Stupid Dylan had to piss me off and remind me of the past again... I almost tapped him out when he attacked me and Dan before gym class... He tried to fight me..."

"Oh..."

"Yeah... But I know I need to just chill, and avoid Dylan like Ignatius said to. Then things like this won't happen..."

"...Right...and, please call if you want to come home, and I'll come pick you up, alright?"

"I will, but Maia's still there right?"

"She left a couple of minutes ago."

I paused, "...And...how is she?"

"She's okay... I'll tell you all about it later, but...she's fine."

"Good... And... Did you mention me?"

"Actually, she did," Sarkis cleared his throat, "She knows you're at school, and...she said she was glad you're alright."

"...You're serious?"

"Yeah, she knows about your condition as well. Though, she does seem a lot more hesitant regarding that."

"...Kay," I said quietly. "I uh...would like to know more, but I should probably, like, go find Dan before he freaks out. I had to run out of the change rooms."

"Oh, yeah, sorry, go on. I'll see ya later. Remember, keep it together!"

"I will... bye."

Sighing and hanging up, I unzipped my gym bag. I quickly changed out of my gym clothes in the stall. I was still barely believing both what had just happened and Maia's reaction. One, holy fuck that was close, I'm glad nothing worse happened. Two, oh my god, Maia was glad I was okay but hesitant about my condition... That's better than her being completely and utterly horrified... Like, I really thought she'd take it badly. Like, really badly, but... she showed concern, according to Sarkis... and I can't believe that, I just can't...