Chapter 33

~ Dan's POV ~

"...You both are weak-"

"Shut up!" I interrupted the echoey, voice of Zakaroth, "Shut up, shut up, I can't hear you..."

A few days had gone by before he came back again. This time I was with Matt at his house, so I had to run out of there when Matt stopped and his eyes went grey. Sarkis was already in the room and went to help Matt as I left. I was sitting outside in the cold, listening to the muffled noises coming from inside, and to Zakaroth's quiet taunting voice. He had been trying to say things to me for about a minute or so now, I only just was able to make out what he said moments ago though. I didn't care though, I wasn't gonna listen... that is, if I could understand what he was saying in the first place...

After another minute or so, I realized everything was quieter inside Matt's house. Deciding to peek in, I stood up from the steps on their porch, and went back inside, ignoring Zakaroth's voice lingering in the background. Opening the front door, I immediately saw the floor by the front entrance was damaged, leading over to the living room. I went inside completely, looked to the living room, and caught the end of Sarkis punching Matt or Zakaroth in the face with his fist imbued with Light-Fire. The Chaos markings fell away into smoke as Matt fell back, Sarkis raised his other arm and caught him with magic before he hit the floor. Behind them, the living room was... damaged quite badly... Their TV is in pieces... and part of it is in the ceiling... Holy shit I... I didn't think it'd be that bad...

"...Hey," Sarkis said simply, stepping over to Matt and releasing his magic, catching Matt in his arms as the flames on his wrist dissipated, "Sorry... to both of you..."

"...I-It's alright," I said, "Y-You had to-"

"I'll destroy you all," Zakaroth whispered in my ear again. I could almost feel his breath on my ear, which made me flinch and snap at him.

"L-Leave me alone! Sarkis, he-"

Sarkis simply lifted his arm towards me and a bright laser blast shot from his palm to directly beside my head, hitting the invisible elemental being that was Zakaroth. I heard what might have been a shout or grunt of pain fading away into nothing... and breathed a sigh of relief that he was gone again.

"Th-Thanks..."

Sarkis blinked but said nothing, his golden markings fading as he began carrying Matt to their room. I slowly followed, briefly glancing at the damaged room before looking back to Sarkis when he stumbled and fell against the wall. He stopped long enough for me to catch up.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked.

Sarkis didn't even look at me as he said stiffly, "...Just magical exhaustion."

I reached out to him, "Let me help you-"

"I can do it myself," He growled.

...So, I let him carry Matt the rest of the way to their room, by himself... no matter how much he was struggling. Sarkis barely lay Matt on the bed before he finally fell to his knees. I used my magic and scanned them both quickly, only to find that both of them really should have passed out by now. So, deciding enough was enough, I moved Matt over on the bed using my magic and physically helped Sarkis up so he could sit on the bed.

"...I don't need-"

"Shut up you big dork," I held onto Sarkis and helped him up, "You can't even stand on your own right now."

Sarkis grumbled inaudibly to himself, but he let me help him. Once he was sitting on the bed, I applied Vitality to his forehead, trying to keep his energy levels up and enough blood flowing to his brain so he wouldn't pass out on me. I reached over to Matt and did the same.