part 15 Chapter Five: Time to Go

Blue Diamond patiently waited as Steven and the gems said their goodbyes one more time.

"Spinel isn't joining us?" She questioned, searching the minuscule party for her pink gem, whi was nowhere to be seen. Steven turned around forcing a nervous smile.

"She said she'd rather stay here, and watch over the place with Peridot and them." He replied, gesturing to Peridot, Bismuth, and Lapis. Telling Blue that Spinel was still very much afraid of her probably wasn't the best idea at the moment.

Blue nodded sullenly, before turning to her ship and gesturing for the gems to enter alongside her. Steven glanced back at the beach house, Spinel hadn't even left her room that morning. He even brought spare donuts.
She would be fine, she could handle this. He had to hope.
Besides, Peridot, Bismuth and Lapis all decided to stay at the beach house with her in case she did come out.
They could handle her.

Steven made his way into the ship, following closely behind Garnet and Pearl, this mission wouldn't take long.

"I have prepared for my Aquamarine's to take unmarked fleet ships to the colonies, they were provided coordinate to the solar system your friend had mentioned." Blue mentioned as she set the coordinates for her own ship.
Steven nodded, moving to sit with Garnet and Amethyst and Pearl by the wall.

"She won't go missing Steven, you don't need to ask." Garnet answered, before he had time to question.
Steven nodded solemnly, he didn't like the idea of leaving Spinel behind again, but despite that, the time away helped his mind settle about her.

She still didn't quite understand what he wanted from her, and he may have placated her for the moment, he know she would eventually come to question him.

Spinel sat on the couch, watching the ship take off, along with her friends while she was alone in the house, alone without them.
They would come back though. It would be okay. It was fine. This was fine.

"I can handle it." She muttered softly to herself, already terribly dreading the idea of waiting for them. She stood up and began pacing, her hands meandering to her head to methodically pull at her hair.

"Lapis and everyone are just outside, I'm not alone. I'm not alone and they are gonna come back." She swiveled around just as Lapis and Peridot were making their way up the stairs.
The pink gem smacked herself in effort to drive away her thoughts and make herself seem far more comfortable than she really was.

"You okay?" Lapis asked as she entered the building. Spinel nodded enthusiastically with a wry smile on her face, though her anxiety was clearly visible.

"He's gonna come back, it's not like he's gonna just leave forever." Peridot explain, "unless something happens and they get attacked and stranded, then they might not come back."

Spinel's small smile dropped and her worry returned ten times stronger than before, causing Lapis to elbow the green gem harshly.

"What- what if that does happen? Blue could be lying- she could be luring them all into a trap, she could, she could-"

"Spinel, it's gonna be fine." Bismuth's voice pulled the frantic gem from her thoughts.

"Steven knows that if anything happens to him, we'll find a way to help him, even save him." She reassured the gem, hoping it would ease her thoughts at least somewhat.
Spinel nodded, lowering her hands finally and straightened up.

"You're right, he's special- if he got in trouble we would go to help, he will come back- if he doesn't we can just go get him." She smiled, relaxing a little more. Though, her anxieties still hung over her shoulders like a thick wet blanket. "Also, I can still be with him, in Pink's room."

Spinel's smile grew a little less tentative at the thought, she could spend some time, with him, even if it wasn't really him. It would help a little.

"See? It's not as bad as you made it out to be." Lapis replied, moving to sit on the couch. Spinel nodded, relieved by the thought.

"I think I'll just.." she trailed off quietly, moving closer to the infinity door until it opened and she stepped inside, leaving her friends to themselves.

The door latched shut behind her and she breathed a sigh of relief, opening her eyes to see fake Steven smiling at her with those gentle eyes. It made her worried melt away.

"Hi Steven." She laughed, stepping toward the apparition, his arms opened wide for a hug and she followed through, wrapping her arms around him tightly and pulling him close for a gentle kiss on the forehead.

"Hi Spinel." It replied through a giggle, making her blush lightly.

It was going to be fine. This Steven would suffice for the time being.