pt 10 Chapter Six: Of Great Convenience

Connie sat with Amethyst, trying to gauge how well the purple gem was taking things.
She had been opposed of Steven's plan to leave Spinel, but didn't mention it because she had already blown up at him about her.
Now she simply boiled in her own tumultuous thoughts on the subject and his actions. Connie understood, and wanted to vocalize it, but didn't want to distract them from focusing on getting off the jungle moon.

The girl stood up, and began picking up the peices of the ship that had flown off in reentry, prompting Amethyst to do the same. All the gems and Connie gathered the panels and set them in a pile next to what was left of the interior of the ship, it was nearly completely dismantled. It would take a miracle for them to get it together, let alone flight worthy again.

"This isn't going to work." Amethyst mumbled, throwing the trashed metal onto the pike with a huff.

"We'll get off this planet." Garnet replied, adding more before sitting down at a log. Lion yawned and rolled over, his eyes widening as Steven's head popped out from his mane.

"Guys I think we can fix the ship." He said with a half smile, though it didn't hide the exhaustion in his eyes. The boy jumped out of lions mane, pulling Peridot and a much smaller Bismuth out with him.

"Oh my stars!" Peridot stared at the wreckage, the shine in her eyes quickly fading as she looked it up and down. "This is going to take a while."

Bismuth shifted her size to her normal stature, and followed the green gem's gaze.

"It..its doable.." She turned to the gem with a mildly forced smile. This would take exponentially longer than she had initially thought.
But it wasn't a completely impossible task.

"Right!" Pearl clapped her hands together, "we gathered all the pieces and separated them into different piles relative to their use on the ship and their technological components." She gestured at their haphazardly piled garbage.

"Peridot, you can help me put together the entire mechanics and Bismuth can start getting things together." Pearl made her way toward one of the piles, tugging out a large circuit board and fiddling with it.

Steven turned to Connie who seemed to be idly standing while the gems who actually knew what they were doing began rebuilding the ship.

"Don't worry, we'll get out of here in no time." He laughed, trying to hold back his own growing fears. Connie glanced at him before letting out a sigh and sitting down on a log.

"I know you're being optimistic, but don't you think things are getting out of control?" She asked, not looking at him. Steven lost his smile and sat beside her, nudging her gently.

"We've been on this situation before, on the same moon, but we have friends- we can get through this." He gently rested his hand on her leg. Connie nodded slightly, looking up at the base they had slept in years ago.

"I mean all of this- the coup, the diamonds, don't you think it's too much?" She mumbled, Steven looked at his feet, unsure if his honesty was what was needed in the moment.

"It is too much..but I can't just stand by while White destroys everyone..and I can't let Spinel stay corrupted." His stomach turned at the thought of everything collapsing around him.

"If I can at least talk her down, then we can deal with Aquamarine, I can talk to White...I think." He paused, looking up into the sky. "But I don't think Aquamarine wants to talk."

A small bright flash erupted in the sky, signaling a ship that plummeted towards them, stopping just short of impact and hovering above the group.

It landed, and Eyeball stepped out, followed by her troup of rubies who immediately fused into a much larger ruby.

"Now to finish you off!" The fusion screeched, pulling a large knife from her gem and slamming it down on the ground.

Bismuth whipped around, and glanced at Peridot who seemed afraid and confused by the arrival of the enemy.

"Nope! That's enough!" Connie growled, now entirely done with the day, she unsheathed her sword and sliced at the giant gem's ankle, causing her to lose her balance.

Garnet stood back, not drawing her weapon, despite the other gems doing so. She watched patiently as the future unfolded.

Connie leapt backward, waiting for the fusion to regain their balance before hurling herself toward their leg, slicing in at the hip.

"Would you stop that!" The ruby fusion turned, swiping at the tiny human with her sword, Connie jumped onto the blade and swiftly ran toward the fusion's head, cleaving into her face and causing the fusion to explode.

Three ruby gems clacked to the ground, leaving two left to poof.
The two rubies muttered angrily under their breath before attempting to retreat into their ship, only to be picked up by Bismuth.

"You just saved us a lot of time!" She laughed, throwi them under her arms and climbing into the Sun Incinerator.
She turned back to face her friends, who at first seemed shocked, until relief washed over them.
Pearl nodded and followed the large gem into the ship.

"What about us?! We can't go with you!" Peridot's voice was shrill, she didn't want to go with them, what if Lapis returned? She would need to be there- and if earth was attacked again.
Steven nodded, grabbing Bismuth before she could enter the ship.

"Peridot's right, it's better if you go back to earth."

Bismuth's smile faded as her face contorted in disgruntled understanding.

"Fine, kick jasper's butt for me though, will you?"

Steven nodded with a reluctant smile. He wasn't looking forward to any upcoming battles.