pt4 Chapter Five: Uninvited

Steven stared intently at the communication device, tossing it in his hands gently, waiting for something, anything to happen.

"Come on.." he moaned, setting the device down and heaving a disappointed sigh. The box began to beep softly, before a holoscreen grew from inside it. Pink Pearl's face was barely visible in the static.

"Steven?" She said, moving the communicator from any prying eyes. Steven jumped for the box, holding it in his hands as he shook from anticipation.

"Pink Pearl! What's going on, do you need us?" There was a cut out of static, before Pink Pearl replied.

"I made- diamonds, they escaped- they have more-" the feed began to cut out, preventing Steven from hearing her garbled words.

"Wait, I can't hear you!" He cried, pressing his finger onto a small light, trying to get the thing to work.

"The- coming, I need more time, I can't-" her signal cut out, causing the screen to be interrupted by static for a short while, then a familiar face appeared, Aquamarine's.

Steven held the device away from him, almost afraid the gem could jump through it.  The gem began to speak.

"You've done well, Spinel, he doesn't suspect a thing, we will rendezvous at sunrise." The gem said, not looking at Steven, his eyes began to widen as questions poured through his mind. Was this pre recorded? A message for Spinel? What doesn't he suspect? Steven attempted to quell his thoughts, just as the feed cut back to Pink Pearl.

"Steven? I lost you." Her voice and face was clear as day on the holoscreen, but Steven didn't react to her words.

"I was saying I need more time, but I'll let you know if I get any more information." The Pearl swiveled her head at the sound of nearing footsteps. "I need to go." She said, not looking back.
The holoscreen closed, leaving Steven alone with his racing thoughts.

The boy released his overly tense muscles, and inched off his bed, leaving the communication device on his blankets.
I can ask Garnet, he thought, she can see if Spinel will betray us.
Steven quietly stepped downstairs, not looking at his friends aside from Garnet, who sat on the couch, petting Cat Steven.

"Garnet," he started, glancing at Spinel, who seemed lost in her own thoughts. "Is the roof leaking?"

Steven lost his train of thought for a moment, noticing the recently repaired roof was leaking small droplets. One landed on his cheek as he looked up at it.

The water droplets suddenly began pooling in the center of the floor, gaining viscosity as they piled onto each other, one after the other. The water rose unnaturally, until Steven noticed a very small sliver of a white gem floating in the mass.

Antarcticite took form, causing Spinel to be thrown from her thoughts as she stared at the intruder.

The uninvited guest slowly rested her gaze on Garnet, extending her fingers into claws and hardening the liquid into a razor sharp point. She leisurely took a swipe at the fusion, forcing Garnet to pull out her gloves and dodge the attack.
The speed at which the new gem attacked was uncanny, it was as if she wasn't even finding it hard to maneuver in the relatively tight space.
Garnet pulled her glove back, delivering a blow to the gem's body, expecting to make quick work of her.

"That's not going to work." Antarcticite replied, rather unastonished by the attempted poof. The water making up her body refracted the light of her form, causing it to distort slightly as she stood unperturbed by the attack. She quickly jabbed at the fusion, using her other long claws to knock back Pearl and Amethyst and prevent them from attacking.

Spinel stared at the white gem, unnerved by her emotionless skill. Terrified that she would appear in the room, with all of them, terrified that the gem was so confident that she could take on all of them at once. The unrelenting fear left her motionless in the heat of the battle, just as Garnet vaulted out the window to escape another swipe from Antarcticite.