*Chapter 30*

"Good boy, Ghost." I cooed at the small puppy. He happily jumped up from his sitting position his tail wagging. I gave him his treat before scooping him into my arms.

Originally his name was Sam. However 2 days after getting him I learned that "Sam" could turn invisible. Just like Casper the friendly Pegasus, I couldn't have two animals named Casper, therefore Sam is now Ghost.

"You were right when you said I was going to be jealous of a dog." Hades grumbled from behind me. I snorted and turned to him, he sat at his desk shuffling files, occasionally stopping to open and read one.

"I can't help it. He's just so cute." I said as I placed Ghost on his desk. The small puppy immediately went to Hades.

Even though Hades claimed he didn't like the dog, I often find my dog in his bed, or even better—in his lap when he's doing office work.

I'm not salty about their relationship.

Okay maybe I am. It's my dog!

I eyed the small puppy who, as I said before was now in Hades lap, happily licking his chin. Hades patted the dog, a small smile on his face.

I rolled my eyes before getting up and making a cup of coffee. Coffee is what kept me soothed in these angry and stressful times.

I was angry because my mother refused to acknowledge me. I was stressed because I had to now explain to my mother why I wanted to stay in the underworld...the places that I had so desperately wanted to get out of.

It seemed that my mother was the root of all my problems. She always has been but I think the Underworld has made me realize this more.

"Kore." Hades said, drawing me out of my head, "Whats wrong?"

"Hmm?" I questioned, "Oh, nothing. I'm fine."

"You just grew vines and flowers in my office. You only do the former when your angry and the latter when your feeling something strongly."

I set my cup of coffee down before turning to Hades, "I'm stressed about my mother, but also angry about my mother."

"Angry?"

"She didn't come to my party. Which, I shouldn't be mad about, but if you haven't seen a person in a while wouldn't you want to see them for a special occasion?" I twisted the bracelet on my wrist before saying, "I'm angry because she put her hate for you before her daughter."

"Why are you stressed?" Hades questioned. He cleared a small space on his desk and patted it.

I took a seat atop his desk and let him massage my shoulders, "I'm stressed about her, and what her opinion might be on us. Which is funny because I told myself I shouldn't care, but deep down I want her validation and acceptance."

"Parents have a funny way of making us feel that way. We can swear we hate them, up and down. But in the end of the day we just want them to say we did good and for them to accept us. They have a weird way of showing their love."

Hades words sunk into my skin as I realized what he said was true.

Everything I have ever done was for my mother. I followed her rules because I wanted her to tell me I was good and the perfect daughter.

In my effort to be perfect I lost who I could have been...who I could be. I confined myself to a small square and said it was fine when I could have been a god damn rainbow.

But no. I listened like a good child.

Now that I have no guidance in my life...no hovering choker, and I was Free I didn't know what to do with my life.

I could have sex, dye my hair, eat sweets, whatever I want.

And my mother can suck on my toe.

A knock on the office door brought me out of myself improvement dream.

"Um, Lord Hades, Lady Kore. There someone here to see you." A small nymph servant said. I believe her name was Lyra, she was nice. I told her to stop calling me Lady Kore, because I felt old but she insisted.

"Who? It's 11 at night." Hades said confused, he stood and came by my side. He grabbed my hand and kissed it, his eyes caught mine and I already knew what he was trying to say, Its going to be okay, I'm here. We will talk later.

"Lady De-" Lyra didn't get to finish as my mother pushed her aside and stepped into the room with all her goddess ness.

Just seeing her, I felt my self confidence deflating and I could feel my small rainbow shrinking back into its square.

All I could do was drop my coffee mug and curse as my mother stared at me.

11/14/2020
76/2