*Chapter 16*

I couldn't quite believe the sight before my eyes as Hade's shadow casted us into a bare field that was ripe with nutrient-rich dirt. It wasn't that dirt that made me stare in disbelief.

It was the sheep and dogs that moved around the field. Stopping here and there to occasionally sniff or kick at something.

I turned to Hades, my senses overloading at the site of dirt. I never thought I'd ever been so happy to see it. If it wasn't for the almighty god of the underworld standing next to me, I would have broken down into tears right then and there.

"Sheep? Why do you have sheep in the underworld?" I questioned him as one walked up to me. Its wool was as black as the night and reminded me of something I'd see in a children's book.

He bumped into my leg, baaing loudly as he did.

"It's from the sacrifices the humans make to me. Usually, the sheep will end up on our dinner plates or as food for the creatures in Tartarus, however the ones that don't become food wound up here." Hades stroked the sheep's head, "The dogs and cats are Hecates. Well, every dog besides Kevin. Kevin!"

A few seconds later a small-sized dog that had brown and black fur cane running up to us. It excitedly jumped on Hades, wanting him to pick him up.

"Kore meet Kevin. Kevin, Kore." Hades said as he picked the small dog up and held him out for me to pet.

I let out a giggle, "Kevin? Such a mortal name."

Hades smiled a look, that I identified as relief crossed over his face, "It was either Kevin or Miniature destroyer 3000."

I couldn't help but laugh at Hades naming techniques, first Spots aka Cerebus then Kevin, the miniature dog that roams with the sheep.

A comfortable silence fell upon us, the only sound being random sheep going baa and Kevin excitedly licking Hades.

I didn't realize I was crying until I was full-on sobbing and by then it was too late to stop. I fell to my knees and began clawing at the dirt, desperate to feel some sense of home.

I wanted to go home so bad, even if it did tear me apart at least I'd be buried at home on the farm with my mother.

I wanted my mama, like a 2-year-old child whose parents were dropping them off at daycare. Hell, the underworld was daycare...for the damned and depressed.

I was highly aware that I looked like a hideous creature that had snot running out of their nose, with puffy bloodshot eyes, and sobs that sounded like it came from a demented creature from the seventh lair of the underworld. So I didn't need Hade's judgemental stares, which he was definitely giving me right now.

"I- I'm sorry! It has been a very very emotional day...week, month! It has been a shitty emotional day. Why are we here?" I sniffled trying and failing to compose myself.

Hade's eyes widen as he dropped to his knees next to me, "Sorry! I didn't mean to stare, I didn't know what to do, you were crying and I'm not very good at comforting people. Um...here." Hades said, clearly flustered. He pressed a large burlap sack into my hands, a sheepish look on his face.

I sniffled once more and wiped my face, smearing dirt all over it. I untied the bag and peered in, dozens upon dozens of packets filled with seeds sat inside the bag. I let out a gasp and dug my hands into the bag, pulling out a handful of packets.

"You...you got me seeds?" I cried.

"I didn't know what else to do...you were tearing apart and I swore I would protect you. Emotionally and physically." Hades said looking at me, before looking down at his hands in his lap, "I'm sorry I can't take you home. Your mother tried to behead me when I went to your home to get them, she says she misses you and loves you very much."

I felt my heart swell, he did this for me?

Hades went to the mortal realm, to my mother who isn't always the best person to deal with and got me seeds. Which may not seem like a lot to some people, but to me it meant a lot. It was the thought and the effort that counts, he helping me stay strong when I feel like breaking.

Instead of responding with words I threw my self at Hades, wrapping my arms around him. At first, Hades seemed shocked and he didn't hug me back, but slowly after a few seconds, he hugged me back. His scent of smoke and the night breeze filled my nose, it was weirdly comforting.

We pulled back from each, a deep blush on both our faces. I tucked my unruly curly hair behind my ear and looked down at the ground, "Thank you, Hades. For everything."

Hades cleared his throat before saying, "Let's get planting shall we?"

3/21/2020
71/1