Chapter 1

I twiddled the rose in between my fingers, studying the veins in the petals and the sharp thorns. Ever since I could form roses I loved them, they were something beautiful but also dangerous with their thorns.

I drew the flower in my journal, ensuring to get all the details. This drawing would get placed by my Hyacinth drawing, another flower I adore. Mostly due to the fact of its tragic background.

"Kore! There's someone here to see you!" I heard my mother shout from downstairs.

I placed my flower and journal down, brushing off any eraser toppings that might be on me. I lept over the random objects strewn across the floor and made my way to the stairs.

"KORE!" My mom called again, this time her tone more impatient. I rolled my eyes and walked down the stairs.

Gosh lady I don't walk with the speed of a damn cheetah!

Once I gracefully made my way down the stairs my half-sister, Despoina greeted me with a crushing hug. Her dark curly hair tickled my face making me sneeze.

I wheezed as she nearly squeezed the immortal life out of me, I whacked her on the back a few times trying to get her to release me.

"Hi to you too Des." I said as she finally released me from her death grip, "Wait Des, what are you doing here, I thought you were in the ocean for another month?"

Despoina eyes widen in shock before transforming into anger, "I'm assuming our mother didn't tell you."

I look to my mom and then back to my sister, confused about what was going on. My mother hasn't mentioned anything having to do with Despoina.

Hell, she rarely talks about my other siblings. It's no secret I'm her favorite child out of all, I was the only child that she kept in close quarters.

It was a blessing and a curse.

"We are going to the summer feast," Despoina explained once it was clear that my mother was going to remain tight-lipped. Her blue eyes narrowed and hiss at my mother, "It's in the Underworld, is that why you didn't tell her mother?"

My mother shrugged, "I simply forgot. I am a busy woman, unlike you Despoina."

I could see my sister fighting the urge to throttle my mother right then and there. The bickering between my younger half-sibling and mother is nothing new. I'm surprised they haven't engaged in a screaming match by now.

"Come on Kore, let's get ready."

Des grabbed my hand and dragged me up the stairs, a trail of marjoram's bloomed from the ground behind me as we walked up to my room. They were a tell-tale of my happiness and joy.

The random flower growing was part of my powers. It was something I couldn't quite control and only occurred when I was showing strong emotion.

Despoina placed me in front of my mirror before wandering off to go rummaging through my closet. Which was a total disaster, my closet was a place of many wonders I wouldn't be surprised if a creature has taken refuge in there.

A few moments later my sister came out, holding two dresses. One was white and the other was a light blue. She tossed the blue at me and ordered me to put it on.

"Mom is going to kill me if I wear this," I said to my sister who was fastening a golden belt to her dress. Her dress was a typical normal Grecian dress, with the single shoulder sleeve, the slit going up one leg, and the golden belt and wrist cuffs.

Meanwhile, my dress wasn't as Grecian, like my typical outfits. This dress had a deep v-neck and a high slit on my left leg. It was odd wearing something that wasn't white for the first time, but the light baby blue accompanied my dark skin just as well.