Chapter Sixty-Four

The world was silent and still. The winds picked up as if the world was taking long breaths after an exhausting wave of battle. The sky was filled with dark grey smoke, hovering above half of the island, the fire's light of embers, reds and oranges reflected against the ceiling of smoke as it reeked through the forests. It's as if Neverland was suffering, slowing to the edge of death, sick in its death bed and about to finish its last breath any moment.

The Lost Boys have grown weak, exhausted, just like Neverland, all tired and sick. Everywhere was full of loss, loss of hope, loss of faith and loss of believing. The Lost Boys looked as if they just lost and had given up as they grieved for those that had fallen during the battle.

Mara lost Tootles and now Curly. Those who were there to make her smile and laugh, it's like this moment was Tootles and Curly had taken her smiles and laughter with them. It's all just desolation and no hope.

She had been mourning with James and Slightly, and she knew it wasn't over yet. It wasn't over just yet, she left the lifeless Curly's side, leaving Slightly and James to mourn for their brother. She had to find Peter and he was nowhere to be seen. Before she left to go find him, she approached Rufio, the boy was sitting on the ground, hands on his head, elbows rested on his knees and looked like he knew everything was doomed.

"Rufio" Mara sniffled, wiped her nose with her sleeve and kneeled in front of the boy. The boy barely looked up and met her glance as a response. "I think you should start patching everyone up before Blackbeard comes back. It's not over yet. You gotta get everyone back on their feet, okay? I'm gonna go look for Peter"

Rufio seemed too exhausted to respond like everyone else, everyone grieving for a friend and family that had been lost. The boy reluctantly nodded. "Let us know when you find him and if he's okay"

Mara nodded and promised. If he's okay, she felt fear thumping in her chest. But she hadn't forgotten that Blackbeard was planning on sparing Peter's life, only him. So, he can't have killed his brother. But Peter was still dying anyway, his heart is slowly giving up like an inch off a cliff. Mara feared for his life, she already lost Tootles who was that sweetest and innocent brother of her's and Curly, a brother who cracks jokes towards her and about her almost every day and yet, she loved that boy a lot. She loved them both like they were her brothers and she never had brothers or sisters. And she lost them both like she lost her parents. It all came back to her the day she lost his father when she heard of her father's death from war. All that pain, she remembers how it all felt, and it hurt so much that her heart had been broken in various ways.

Mara found herself halting at her tracks, she was hurting too much to move forward, both emotionally and physically. But what she expressed more was that grieved from the loss. The ache was all over her body, everything weighed down on her, unable to keep her heavy heart lifted, only to bring her onto her knees and felt as if she had lost everyone and everything. She felt defeated. She whimpered, then cried, and then sobbed. She never cried like this, not at least for a very long time.

Then something cracked in the skies, a thunderous boom erupted, and a torrent of rain followed. It was as if the world began weeping with her, the Lost Boys and the Tribe.

Now she couldn't tell if she was crying as she started to soak by the rain, but she could feel her throat tightening and beginning to hurt from holding it all back in. Her eyes were watery, unable to tell if it's the tears or the rain blinding her, she pulled the collar of her tunic to wipe her eyes.

"Hate to interrupt, but I'm merely showing my concern—" a familiar voice said behind her, she shifted her gaze over her shoulder and found Killian approaching her. "First battles are rough and difficult to endure. I remember my first battle; I was still a wee boy like the Lost Boys. I lost a lot of friends that night. It was terrible, more than terrible. I was scared, scared for my life and I was sure I was going to die"