Chapter Forty-Nine

Pan is having a nightmare too, Mara kneeled down by the bedside then began to shake his shoulder. "Pan?"

Light lit up from the entrance and it was James who lit a lamp on. "He's having one too?" He baffled.

Mara kept shaking Pan's shoulder then sat on the edge of his bed and had her both hands on both of his shoulders "Pan, wake up" she could see the sweat on his head and neck as he thrashed a little. It may seem he was having the worst nightmare, worst than everyone's she presumed. "Peter!" She exclaimed with concern.

Finally, he woke up, he was startled, he seemed terrified for a moment before his eyes found Mara and James then slowly turned stern. "What are you two doing here?" He sounded demanding.

Mara watched him sitting up as she furrowed her brows in confusion, they were both inches from each other, he wasn't looking at her, "You were having a nightmare" she said softly, "so did everyone else on the island"

"We were both wondering if you were okay" said James, "Was it all you?"

He was asking all the nightmares everyone was having was all because of Pan. "Seems to be" he sighed and he didn't sound so sincere.

Mara glanced down at the floor. "This is the first time that has happened" James reminded, "Slightly said so... why now? Why tonight?"

"Well, everyone's got to have a bad dream for once, can they?" Pan's voice was cold and harsh, "It's not like it's going to kill everyone. It's all just stupid bad dreams, James. We all have them, at least once in a while"

For some odd reason, she could tell Pan wasn't honest, she looked at him again as she was skeptical. Surely there was something he wasn't telling but Mara didn't want to push him into telling mainly because he had an awful nightmare.

"I wouldn't be worried anymore if I were you" Pan assured, "you should head back to the caves"

She and James exchanged glances before he put the lamp on a shelf near him, she got off Pan's bed and stood up. She followed James to the way-out.

Before she could begin to climb the ladder, she was already crouching down, Pan got out of his bed, "Turner" he called. Pan can confused her sometimes, he calls her by her first name then the last, and her first again and her last again. Though she does notice he calls her Turner whenever the Lost Boys are around and even James but when they're alone, it's Mara.

James was glancing up at her as he stopped for a moment before she nodded telling him to go on ahead, or maybe he'll wait for her.

"So we're going to act like strangers to each other now?" Pan half smirked.

She stood up as she looked at him, "I don't know, I thought maybe you'd prefer that way and perhaps keep it that way"

He scoffed in response. "Is that what you want?"

She folded her arms together against her chest then shrugged her shoulders, "Do you?" She half laughed and looked down at the floor for a moment before looking back up at him, "I'm the one who... attacked you, you know? Either you want to pretend that it never happened or, you know— but whichever the answer, I'm fine with it"

The boy stood still for a short moment before stepping forward to her until he was very close that there weren't any space between the two. Mara lowered her eyes, not looking at him but at his chest and kept arms folded. There was an intense feeling in her chest and her gut. There was an urge of looking up at him, to hold him and to kiss him. She was kept that urge in even when Pan had his hand on her arm, his hand slowly running down to her elbow.

He didn't need to say it, she knew the answer, she could tell and she was surprised by it. Also glad.

But then she said to attempt change the subject before the moment could go any further. "We both know you're not being honest, and James knows that too" she sighed, "the entire Neverland just had a bad dream, something's up"