Chapter Sixty

His brother? Mara felt like she couldn't breathe, his brother? Peter told me Bishop was his friend. She wondered why Peter Pan lied about it and why he never told her Bishop is his brother. They both have the same hair and eye colours and they share the same smile.

Blackbeard was looking at her, leaning back against his chair, his right arm rested on the wooden table and the other on the chair's arm. His brows knitted together as he looked at Mara's expression, "I wonder why he'd lie to you if you were that special to him"

Mara's eyes fell closed as she lowered her head down. She wasn't sure about that. She doesn't even know if Peter does have something for her like feelings.

"Perhaps you are not special to him at all" Blackbeard cooed, "If you were, there wouldn't be secrets kept from you. Do you really think he loves you?... poor girl, the boy is no capable of loving anyone because he doesn't have a heart"

He's taunting her, she knew. But there may be a part of her where she knew Peter Pan was never capable of loving, though it still ached Mara to know that. How can she love a person who can't love back? Mara glanced up and looked at Blackbeard then murmured, "Maybe I knew that" Mara could be already dead now that she's in Blackbeard's hands, now that he knows of her purpose. He can prevent her from saving Peter Pan. "Yes, I knew Peter lies and there were secrets he kept from me and everyone else. I wonder why. I wonder why he never tells anyone about you, about you being his brother... maybe he prefers that he never had a brother."

The man craned his neck, giving her the look of dismay. He let out a long sigh as he glanced away momentarily as rest his chin on his palm. "You know, back when I was a boy, as you know I was Bishop back then. Peter and I, he was actually the oldest, two years older than me, taller than me—" he shifted his glance over his shoulder at James, the boy was still hanging, looking concerned, the man's gaze went back onto Mara. This man was once the youngest brother. "He took care of me, like every big brother who takes care of his little brother. He was a dreamer, a believer, the person I always looked up to and rely on... I was sick, dying, a disease growing inside me that was killing me slowly. Peter was trying to find a way to save me. One day, we were on a shipwreck and this place, Neverland, found us. The Natives found us hanging on one of wrecks from the ship, they were fishing until they found us. I see this beautiful young girl and her brothers, she pulled us out and took us to the land. They clothed us, fed us, put a roof on our heads and took care of us"

The young girl he mentioned could be Tiger Lily. It was strange to hear Peter Pan's past from this man. Peter wasn't much of a sharing person.

"It was difficult to live with those people, to not understand each others' words, it took time, of course. Peter and I noticed that I wasn't sick anymore, it took a while for us to learn what this place could do. Time stands still here in Neverland. No one grows old here, and that means the illness I had was halted. Not healed" There was a slight disappointment in his tone. "Lily and I had something once, she talked about how we should live out here and that this was our forever. But I wanted more for us both, I wanted more new adventures, see the world, and show her new places out there... but she didn't want to leave. She never wanted to leave. If she did, she'd grow old and die. Then I realized that she won't give me what I want... so she and I couldn't be anymore. She warned me if I ever leave, the illness will come back to kill me, that was true, yes... but I can't live out here forever, neither I want to die"

See the world, more adventures, the person that you love can't give you what you want. Mara found this all familiar. No... no... she is nothing like him.

"Peter and Lily were growing close, they shared their concern about me because of how I wanted to leave. It was long before I found out that there was something out here that could save me. Something that they both kept from me and I was told over and over that the only way I could be saved is if I stay here... but I found out they both lied to me"