Chapter Twenty-One

Mara had a cold wet cloth on her head where she was hit by Thomas, her head throbbed a little, the hit that ended the second round. Sitting, scowling and humiliated, they were all back in the camp.

She caught the eyes from Thomas, Felix, Nibs, the Twins, Rufio and few other more gazing at her from across camp, all grinning and snickering at her. They were making fun of her as usual. She felt no humiliation this time, but rather infuriated.

"That wasn't bad" Curly commented, "I mean, it was a bit bad but I've seen terrible"

"Is that supposed to cheer me up?" She mumbled.

"No, merely a compliment which wasn't meant to cheer you up" Curly half laughed.

Mara moved the cloth to her cheek bone as she frowned. "But we did see worst of the worst before" James added, "you're not a worst fighter we've seen"

"I have a feeling you're trying to cheer me up" she replied, "if you were, it doesn't work"

How long will it go on? She might have to fight again on the morrow, if not, then the day after morrow. What if it goes on forever and the fight never ends? To think about it sounds rather exhausting for Mara.

"Can I give up?" She murmured as she turned her head at James.

He shook his head, "Can't" he leaned forward as he rest his arms on his lap, "Pan says you must until you take the boy down"

"That boy is no boy but a man trapped in a twelve year old body" Mara remarked.

James just snickered, "He only fights like a man, he's got a mind of a warrior, only because he was one of the first Lost Boys Pan found. They're both few centuries old. His mind only grew but he's still a boy"

She has thought of that about Thomas, she guessed Felix was also one of the first Lost Boys. "Felix is one of the firsts as well?"

James nodded "Aye. Rufio too... and Slightly"

Mara wrinkled her brows before turning head to her left and her gaze found Slightly with Tootles sitting nearby. She was actually surprised that Slightly was older than she thought, he was quiet, though he said couple words to her during training. She only hears dozen words from him each day. He was also the most sullen looking boy in the camp.

"You know, since it's free time the rest of the day I hope" James stood up, picking up his staff, "come with me"

Mara glanced up at him and giving him an odd look, "Why? Where we going?"

"I'm going to train you" he nodded to his side, "come on"

"But I prefer to stay here and catch a break while I can"

"I wasn't asking, come or I'll get Pan to get your arse up"

She scowled at him, eyed across the camp and spotting Pan sitting with Felix. She wasn't really afraid of him but rather not to face the boy. "Fine" she sighed then got on her feet. James lead the way, they weren't going to the training grounds because she noticed they were heading the other way. "Isn't the training grounds that way?" She pointed over her shoulder.

"Yes" James gave her a look. "We're going somewhere else"

Mara followed him out of the camp, it was just the two of them leaving.

The training took place not far from the camp, it was a meadow place that was filled with small white flowers, and the grasses were tall about up to Mara's knees. It was the only pretty place within the dark jungle. It was mostly cloudy and sometimes the sun came out. It was warm, not too warm.