Chapter Eight

Dusk was breaking as Mara Turner still stood on the shores of the cove and gazing toward the ocean where the Jolly Roger had disappeared. She imagined Captain Hook and his crew celebrating and drinking at a pub by now. Here she was, standing and looking all dazed and disbelieved about the fact that she was stuck here on this island.

She would hear boys whispering behind her, hiding in the bushes as they watch her or wait for her. She had to move any moment now, go somewhere else, anywhere but here, somewhere where she could be alone and not bothered. Most of the time she was too afraid to move, she moves, they'll follow perhaps. Wouldn't hurt to try, would it?

Mara inhaled deeply, exhaled sharply, she shifted her head to the left then slowly took a step. She started walking, she heard no rustling, a bit glad as she kept going until she reached the end. Large rocks were in her way so she had to enter the forest.

Her hand remained on her sword's hilt, Captain Hook gave it to her before she left the ship and told her to fend for herself.

Don't be afraid to use it, he told her, Do what you must do to survive, who knows what these bloody boys will do.

Who knows, she thought. What are they waiting for?

The jungle darkened, maybe it was night already or she had entered the Dark Jungle that Hook described it as 'the last place on earth you want to be in'. She wouldn't need to worry about it now since the entire island had become her new 'home'. What other things or people she would need to worry about besides Peter Pan and the Lost Boys? Were there other threats that lurks in Neverland?

Mara had stopped to make fire, it was getting too dark to stroll around, too dark to see where she was going and she was going to camp at the spot where she stood. She found some wood, dead leaves and stones to spark.

She tapped and scraped the stones together over and over close to the wood. It's been a while she made fire using stones and she was a bit rusty. Probably about five minutes, a sudden fire erupted from her fireplace before she could make another spark. She startled as she jumped back and fell on her bum. Confused at first as she looked at the fire until she heard someone stepping in behind her, she grabbed the sword's hilt. She looked back to see Peter Pan grinning as he softly chuckled and looking at her.

Mara scowled at him, moved to the right away from him and made her place near the fire. Forgetting that Pan magically made the fire because she had seen someone doing something like that once before.

"Aren't you a scaredy little kitten?" He walked toward the fire and stopped.

Mara didn't respond, she let go of her sword, she held her arms around her knees and attempt to avoid eye contact with the boy.

"You know how to fight with a sword?" He asked.

"I know enough," she mumbled. Thinking about Killian when he taught her how to fight throughout the month during sailing across the ocean, especially the little times in the past with other children she practiced with.

"You cozy enough here?" he looked around the area.

She couldn't help to respond sharply, "What are you doing here?"

"I live here" he replied derisively.

Her glare remained at him as she tilted her head and said nothing. She already despise the boy, despise him for making her feel that she had no choice but to stay in Neverland, blamed him that she's here where she can never grow.

The boy sighed, folding his arms over his chest, "I was passing through"

"Then maybe you should keep going" she said sharply as she nodded toward left.