Chapter Forty-One

The storm lasted for few hours, it had been the worst one Neverland had had this season, storm season only just started around a week ago, give two or three more weeks until the season is done for the year. The winds of the storm were strong, enough to blow the bonfire out inside the cave. The storm changed everyone's mood, the boys stopped playing, they all sat in the walls of the caves, all looking bored and miserable. Mara was the only person who was doing something, still making arrows. Some boys would stare at her as if she were strange and some decided to nap through the storm as the rest waited for it pass.

Long after the storm passed and the rain went with it. The clouds above had colors of late evening, red, pink, purple  and oranges. The evening sun had peeked through the clouds from the other side.

With rain stopped, the boys left the caves and they all decided to wander off into the forest before dark. Mara stayed by the caves for a moment before deciding to climb up the mountain all by herself. She wanted to see the other side and if she could catch a glimpse of the evening sun before the clouds shade it again or before it decides to rest for the night.

Slightly, Tootles and Curly went with James to the Falls, she wasn't sure if they're heading there to swim but it wasn't a good evening to swim, the air was brisk as it is every evening.

Mara climbed and tried to get around the mountain where she can see the sun. But when she tried to climb up on a slippery slope, she kept slipping off about five times until there was someone standing on the edge where she was trying to climb on. "You don't look like you're doing so well" it was Pan.

She scowled at him, "You think?"

"What are you doing now? I hope you're not trying--"

"If you're going to say trying to get yourself killed again, I swear I'll jump off" Mara had her hands on her hips.

Pan merely chuckled in response, "Okay, really, what are you doing?"

Mara sighed as she glanced up at the sky, seeing the rays of the sun beaming from the other side, it was still out of the clouds. "Trying to get a better view" she murmured with little embarrassment.

"Of what?"

She sighed again, "Of the sun... before it sets, or the clouds hid it again"

Pan wasn't responsive for a moment, he looked at her as if he admired her, then he offered his hand to help her, "Alright, let me help you"

Mara raised her brows as she stared at him a little strangely. She exhaled sharply, gave up then grabbed his hand.

He pulled her up as she stepped on the steep cliff. Then something familiar happened instantly as she stepped onto the edge that made her almost dizzy and almost lost her balance but hung onto him and his arms around her.

Instead where they were down below a seconds ago, they were now atop of the mountain. Not on top but near the top. It was breezy where they were. The view was astonishing, she never been far up here before, the highest she could ever been onto was the Dead Man's Peak. Up here, she could see almost the entire of Neverland, and the better view of the sunset.

"Wow" Mara was speechless.

"You're welcome" Pan said.

She noticed she was still holding onto him and his arms still around her. She slowly stood up straight up and pulled away slow awkwardly. Trying to avoid awkwardness, she stepped toward to the edge, not only she was gazing at the sunset but the entire land.

"I reckon you're used to this view" Mara was gazing around.

"Well, I've been here for a very long time, so" Pan replied.