Chapter One

She was awoken by a kick on her foot. She opened her eyes to see a pirate standing over her, the sun shone down at her face, she had to raise her hand to block the sun and see clear at the pirate.

It was pirate Percy, a thin and tall with a goatee beard pirate. "Wake up, girl!" He kicked her boot again, "Get back to work"

She was ached all over because she slept uncomfortably. It was a short sleep, her eyes were heavy and her legs were still asleep. All she could think was the jobs she has to do during the day which she was getting used to it. But it was all the pushing that irritated her, she wouldn't dare to insult them back or anything, she'd merely keep doing what she was supposed to be doing.

Mara Turner began her day by eating a quick breakfast, which were merely a bread and a cup of water before she begins her work. Her work was cleaning mostly and sometimes serve food to the pirates. Mara was like a servant in the ship called Jolly Roger and owned by a pirate name Killian Jones who's mostly known as Captain Hook.

Mara was adventurous, always wanted to see the world and travel. That was why she was in a pirate ship, one time she spent outside of a pub where she met Hook, he just woke her up in a morning as she slept on a hay. She wasn't sure why Hook was interested in talking to Mara, he bought her a plate of food to eat in the pub where they spoke for over an hour.

When Mara told Hook she wanted to travel and see the world, that's when Hook offered her a spot in his ship, in order to pay for it, she'll have a job to do and her repayment was a ride on the ship and travel. Mara did not mind, she'd do anything to have some adventure and see other parts of the world. Another reason why she did not mind was because she spent most of her life cleaning for the people.

When Mara stood in front of the ship, gazing for a moment, there was nothing around them but an endless ocean, the air grew warm when the sun rose, she had never been this far of this world and she was almost amazed of how far she went.

In the below deck, where she started working, she folded the blankets, and put them away. She washed the floors, put everything back where they were, cleaned the bottles, gathered the barrels to tie them together to hold and even prepared the lunches for the pirates. When noon came, it was her break, she climbed up the stairs and went to the deck to see where they were. She gazed left to right and saw no lands. But she saw a land in the distance when she looked front, it was far ahead, from where she was, it was small to her eyes but they were just far away. It had been weeks since they sailed, yesterday Hook announced the food shortage and believed there wouldn't be enough to make it back to the Enchanted Forest. He had a way to go back, 'a much quicker way that we'd be home for seconds'. Firstly, he had to sail to the place where he could get something that will take them all home. Like he said, they'd get there in a day and maybe that land she was seeing ahead was the place he meant.

Mara walked up to Captain's wheel where Hook was, she asked as she kept her eyes on the land, "Is that the place you meant?"

"Aye," Hook answered.

"What's in there?"

She glanced at the pirate. "Something that will take us back to the Enchanted Forest. Let's hope we'll get it"

Mara did grew quite fondly with Hook. She had friends before, but they always left. Hook was the eldest friend she made, a little kind for a pirate but sometimes he can be harsh whenever he doesn't want to be bothered or spoke to. During the sail since day one, he had taught her a lot of things he knew, even how to sail, navigating the stars and how to fight with a sword.

"Do me a favour and fill this up" Hook nudged her arm with his bottle.

"With what?" She took the empty bottle.

"Oh water," Hook said ironically, "rum, what do you think?"

She shrugged her brows as she narrowed her eyes and turned. She walked down the steps and climbed back down into below deck.

Below deck was mostly empty, everyone were busy up the deck, helping Hook to sail the ship. It took a little while for Mara to find the right barrel, half of them were either wine, water and juice. There was a half a barrel left of rum which was Hook's own of course. Mara sometimes wondered why Hook drank a lot, not that it bothered her, she merely wondered.

When Mara climbed back up to the deck, she saw that their destination was getting close, she realized it was an island, a large island with a large hill in the middle of it. It might take less than half hour to get there.

As she gave the captain's bottle back to him, she was curious about the island so she asked Hook, "What is that place?"

"That, m'lady, is called Neverland" He responded.

"Neverland" She whispered, what an odd name for a place. What was in Neverland? What was there that will help them to get home? "So you've come here before, when was the last time you visit there?"

"Not too long ago," he bit the cork of his bottle and opened it then took a drink.

"Are there any inhabitants?"

"Aye, not very nice people"

She lowered her brows as she glanced at the pirate. When they reached near the shore, and they stopped in the middle of the cove. To Mara, she explored the view of the island, she thought the place was beautiful, a lot of trees and nature. She wanted to explore it and go with Hook.

While the pirates prepared to row down a row boat onto the water, Mara confronted Hook, "Can I come along?"

"Trust me on this, Mara, it's better that you stay here on this ship" Hook implied as he put on a belt that held his sword.

"With these people?" I nodded at the other pirates, "You can't leave me alone with them"

"You just need to get along with them if you want to start to get comfortable on this ship" he put his bottle of rum into his coat pocket.

"They don't want to get along with me," she grumbled, "Look, we had a deal, I worked hard to keep your bloody ship all new and shiny since day one. This is the kind of an adventure I'm looking for, to explore the world. Starting with this place"

Hook sighed peevishly and didn't respond right away. The Pirates shouted for Hook that the boat was ready. "Percy" the Captain called as the tall pirate was walking by, he stopped and stepped up to the captain with a questioning look. "Give her your sword" Hook ordered.

Mara furrowed her brows, "Sword? Why do I need a sword?"

"To defend yourself of course"

"From what?"

"Not what" Hook turned and walked down the steps as he went for the boat, "--who"

***