Chapter Twenty-Three

Mara found herself gazing left to right, around the camp until finding the sight of Pan ahead, disappearing into the woods, leaving the camp. Surely no one had mentioned when it is bedtime, it's bedtime as a rule. She had already thought of dozens of excuses while she's out of her tent and wandering late at night. She went ahead, where Pan had disappeared to and followed him.

Disappeared into the woods, she didn't see where she was going to for a moment as she walked. The night was growing cold, like how most nights are, even crickets were heard somewhere nearby, frogs croaking and an owl hooting faintly like it was a mile away. She could only keep track on Pan's footsteps and rustling, all she saw was a dark small boy ahead. Mara was a little surprised he hasn't noticed her yet, he kept walking and walking.

Until she lost sight of him, she still proceeded forward where he had went, the sounds of his steps and rustling faded like he was a mile away already. It's when she couldn't tell anymore where the sounds from Pan were coming from. She tried to listen carefully, tracking on his footsteps would be pointless because there was no light.

Mara gave up then decided to turn back, back to the camp, back to her tent and her hammock. Sleep and maybe try again tomorrow.

Which way did she came from? She did remember walking straight as she followed Pan. The camp's lights were out and so was the bonfire, she wouldn't able to see the camp at all. She couldn't have walked that far, did she?

She reached a log on the ground, she didn't recall going over a log while following the boy, yet she continued forward. Went on and on until realizing she wasn't going the right way and unable to find the camp even though she could've found it by then.

The sounds of the river was nearby, which meant the camp was near. So she followed the sounds of river. She could able to get back to her tent, maybe without Pan realizing or anyone else.

When she found the stream, all she had to do was look for a spot that was familiar, a tiny trail that leads to the camp. She found it pretty quick and then went on to follow the trail.

Mara was about to feel relief, either about no one noticing her out of her hammock or finding the camp. Maybe both. Until she heard an utter voice behind her as she strolled, "What are you doing out of your tent?"

Mara halted, head falling back as she sighed, she turned and found Pan standing close. "I..." she paused, just earlier she thought of dozens of excuses but then now she couldn't find one at all as if she forgotten all of it.

"It's late, you should be sleeping by now" Pan said.

"That's sort of the problem" Mara muttered, "I couldn't sleep... so I took a little stroll, hoping to... wear me out"

"And following me?" Pan folded his arms on his chest.

She sighed again, of course he knew she was following him, now unable to find an excuse again, "I was...curious... to know where you're gone to at nights" she shrugged.

She could tell he was a bit infuriated, she waited for him to yell at him or something. But he didn't, instead, he gave a long sigh before telling her "C'mon" he walked around her to lead the way, he was guiding her back to the camp even though she knew where to go but she said nothing.

As Mara thought of what she had thought of since the training with James, it was the best time to let it out right now. "I have been thinking--" Pan didn't stop, he kept walking as she was behind him, she went on, "--I know I've been...rash since I arrived and... I apologize of my behaviour the past couple of days"

He said nothing for a little moment, "We don't apologize here in Neverland"

"Alright" Mara whispered, thinking and trying to find some other words to say, "...I have come to understanding the fact that I've been foolish the past couple of days, I accept that, I accept that I was daft and I'll try my best to not let it happen again"