Chapter Nine

"One" Peter Pan began.

Mara was confused at first, "What?" She uttered.

"Giving you a head start" he stated, "Better run for your life, girl, before I reach ten"

There weren't questions to ask because she knew she didn't have time, she had to get far as possible, so she ran.

Howls and barks of yelling and Indian cries were heard as she sprinted far away as she could. Last number she heard was 'eight'. Run, hide or die were the only choices she had, she was running and hide comes later. If death is near, she's gonna have to fight for her life then. She was no fighter, she was no knight who can wield a sword and fight against their opponent.

She wouldn't able outfight these boys who have lived in Neverland for so long, longer than any man outside of the island and who knows how long they've on Neverland.

Make it until sundown, that was like half a day. How was she supposed to survive through half a day? She's gonna have to try.

The countdown must've finished by then, agitation grew on her as she ran fast as she could, knowing that spears, knives and bows were coming at her. Maybe this was it, maybe it was time to die, after sneaking through the ogres overnight, barely out running the hungry hounds, made through the knights and maybe this is how she will go. A pack of over boys hunting to kill her, maybe with a knife, or a spear impaling her or take a few arrows on her back.

An hour passed, so far no boys were sighted but she could still hear them, howling like it's already night and making Indian cries like they were chasing after the battles. Cackles too can be heard, like killer maniacs chasing after their victim. She was hiding, buried in the bushes as she crouched, her throat was dry and her lungs ached from all the running. She was thirst for water, it made her thirst worse when she thought of water.

Once she caught her breath, she moved, she needed water and she knew there must be fresh water somewhere on the island. Mara ate a little earlier, she found some red berries that weren't poisonous, it wasn't enough because her tummy still growled. She stayed low and silent while she moved, she was moving toward where there wasn't any noises.

Mara couldn't risk of running, they might hear her, she was too tired and thirsty. She wouldn't able to out run the boys if they spotted her.

Hours more to go, she frowned.

Mara moved and hid behind tree to tree and bushes to bushes. There was once when a boy was a feet away from her as she hid beneath the bushes, she was ready to drew her sword until the other boy called him and informing him to move. Her heart was beating so quickly as that night she snuck away from the ogres while her breath was caught in her throat. She had never felt so relieved for a while.

She finally found a river on a third hour of the hunting game, she drank until she felt nauseous then she swam across to get to the other side and stayed in the water for a moment as she take few more drinks.

Mara knew she had to move, run and hide before someone spots her. She needed to find a place to hide, where she could wait it all out until--

An arrow suddenly shot the ground just inches from her thigh, startled as she whipped up to see, spotting a dark skin boy with a bow across the river by the tree, he blew out a whistle with his fingers in his lips and alerting everyone then shouted out "FOUND HER!" He drew another arrow and that's when she shot up then ran into forest.

She heard an arrow making it's home on the tree she just ran around, then continued to sprint away.

Mara didn't stop nor looked back but she knew they were behind her and chasing her. Every arrow missed her, zoomed by her head, her legs and arms or hit the trees instead. The cackles that sounded so haunting and taunting as they chased her, and the cries like Indians were rather terrifying than the cackles as if actual savages were to get her.