Struggle is Real

Mika

I've ran out of ideas on how to surprise him for his birthday.

"Argh!" I crumpled another paper and threw it on my trash bin.

"Bakit kasi kailangan pang umeffort!" Ginulo ko ang buhok ko out of frustration. Tumayo ako from my study table, I friggin' need a break.

"Hi Ma." I greeted my mother who's all eyes on the tv screen right now and walked my way to our kitchen.

I scanned the fridge for food and got myself a gallon on ice cream. Yay for this!

"Perfect!" I said triumphantly and got myself spoons, I curled up on the floor and watched the silly tv show Mom's watching.

"Oh." She grabbed the spoon I handed her not removing her eyes on the screen, I shook my head.

Mom is so engrossed with her watching. Kakainis naman. I sat there eating and enjoying my ice cream. Later I felt Mom reaching for the gallon with her spoon, inabot ko sa kanya at kumuha siya.

"Mamaya niyan sore throat ka."

"Mamaya pa yun." Sagot ko with a goofy smile, pinalo niya ko ng kutsara sa ulo.

"Aww. Kadiri ka Ma!" Himas himas ko yung ulo ko. Kainis naman eh, maya malagkit pa yun eh.

The ice cream is already half empty and the show is almost over. Here comes the cheesy parts, the man asked the woman for her hand in marriage in a very artistic way. Why can't I think of something? I complained to myself as I watch the guy propose.

"Potch.." Mom called me, my head jolts up spoon still sticked on my mouth.

"Hmm?"

"Wag ka muna pakasal ah." Oh God, she is serious! I can feel my eyes about to pop out of its socket. Natanggal ko yung kutsara sa bibig ko.

"You serious Ma?" Mom patted the space on the sofa beside her, telling me to sit with her and so I did.

"I am. Wag muna ah?" I miss moments like this with Mama. It's my turn to poke her with my spoon on the forehead.

"Oa mo Ma." I rolled my eyes on her, but she is still serious. Even before I've always been open to my Mama, she's next to being my bestfriend. I confide to her my crushes, my heartaches, everything that's happening under the sun. I seldom keep secrets from her.

"I'm not being oa." Natawa ako when she tries to copy me, even yung movement ng ulo ko at pagtaas ng kilay kuha eh. Nanay ko nga to.

"De, seryoso. Wag muna ha? Sabihin mo kay Kiefer was ka muna kunin samin." Awww, my Mama is making palambing to me.

"Aww. Hug kita." And so I did.

"Wala pa naman Ma, matagal pa yun." Ni hindi pa nga namin napapagusapan, besides we're still young.

"You won't wait long. Trust me." I was dumbfounded and felt my cheeks heating up.

"Wag kang advance baka maudlot. Alis tayo Ma?"

"San tayo?" She asked, tumayo na ako at hinatak siya.

"Anywhere. Alam ko namiss mo kong ilibre."

It's gonna be a day out with Mama, oh how I missed her.

Kiefer

Kanina pa ko tinotopakan ni Mika. Umaga palang may sapak na siya. Aynako. I touched my nape and keep my phone inside my pocket.

I tweeted, Good morning spraaak. To commemorate her sapak, yari ako nito.

"Tara Thirds, shooting tayo. Call Garvo and Pauly!" I grabbed my sando and changed my slippers to sneakers. Thirdy followed me right after.