Part 1, Chapter 1: This World We Dream of

This chapter has been re-written as of Nov. 2023

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course, every good story starts, with magic.

You awoke with a start, the intense feeling that something wasn't right sitting heavy in your gut. You lean over to the nightstand and grab your phone, turning on the flashlight. You look around the room for a moment. 

'Nothing's there? I could've sworn...'

You shine the light up to the ceiling above you. "Holy shit  Peter. Don't scare me like that!" You say, chucking a pillow up at him. The pillow hit him, and he fell down onto the bed. He rolled over onto his back, staring up at you with wide eyes. "Sorry. I'm just not used to it here, I wanted to be with someone." He says, sitting up.

Peter was pretty new to the Avengers. His room was just down the hall from yours at the tower. His aunt had agreed to let him live here with everyone after Tony Stark had offered him a scholarship to a very prestigious school. You looked at the time: 4 a.m. 

'Jeez Peter, that early?' 

"Sorry for waking you this early, I just.. I couldn't sleep." Like he read your mind.

"I understand. Did you have another nightmare?" You ask. He rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. "Yeah." He says, looking down. Another thing that made frequent was the nightmares. And it wasn't just Peter. All of the world's mightiest heroes had scary dreams. "Do you want to tell me about it?" You ask. He gives you a look before taking a deep breath and- Peter was quiet. "Hey. Whatever's bugging you, you know you can tell me." you smile softly, rubbing his shoulder reassuringly. He glances up at you, seeing the caring look in your eyes.

He held his wrists out to you. You weren't sure where it came from, or how your gifts got to you. But you knew how to use them, somewhat. You place your hands on his wrists, and dive into his mind. An image of Peter in a dark room came to you, sitting in a chair, in his suit, tied up. Looked like your average run of the mill nightmare.

You strode up behind Peter, watching to see what would happen next. Without warning, a man appeared next to you. He towered over you, easily nearing a foot taller. He had hair as black as night, and eyes as beautiful as the ocean...or maybe the trees. The team, Thor specifically, had you do some light reading up on this man. By light reading, they had you read his entire case file... aside from one crucial piece of information. Of all the things you'd read, all the things you'd sene, all the things Thor had told you about his brother, no one could-would- tell you his name. And you didn't know why.

"You're going to- who's this?" Both men looked back at you. You tried to run, but your feet were stuck, and your hands were somehow bound too. The man looked down at you. "Where did you get magic, mortal?" "What's it to you?" You say, trying to conceal your nerve. "Hm." He said, emerald eyes narrowed to a slit.

He lifted Peters chin, squatted down, and pulled out a dagger... from midair. The man ripped the tape from Peters mouth, making him groan in pain. "Hey! Don't you dare hurt him!" You yelled. "And what could mortal like you do about it?" He said. The man took the dagger in his hand, raised it in the air, and-

   You were jolted back to reality. You look at Peter in horror. He melted into a puddle of tears. "Hey.. hey it's okay. I'm here. He's not going to hurt you anymore." You pull him into a tight hug. The two of you sat like that for a few minutes, you used your magic to try and calm him down. 

     "Y/n?" You heard Peter mumble. "Yeah Peter?" You asked. "Who is he?" "I...I don't know. Let's try to get some sleep okay? You can stay over there if you want." You pointed over to the couch. "Okay... thank you y/n." He said. "Anytime."