34: My bad, you first

Dustin POV

Rogues were tied in front of me, each staring at the ground before them, saying nothing. I could barely pay attention to Beta Darren growling questions at them. Nor could I pay attention to the more aggressive he got. The occasional sound of fists hitting flesh, spraying blood onto the ground would break through my veil of disbelief.

Amy had been running from them - had been lucky the pack and I were patrolling that area. If we hadn't been there... She wouldn't have kissed me again.

It was true, I never thought my knees would buckle at the thought of my mate. Yet, Amy was so resistent to me it made my head spin. Her vulnerability and eagerness to prove herself had me wanting to get to know every detail of her. About her past, present and future. She was going to be the end of me.

It made me think of what would have happened if I hadn't come back. Or if I had come back sooner. Everything with Amy would have been way more different. I couldn't even comprehend what she would be like, other than this. About how attentive she was of thinking about her life than our mate bond. As if indulging in us was dangerous or the one thing she did and didn't want.

I wanted to know everything that had gone down. Why she was reluctant to kiss me. Why she was reluctant to be with me.

Just why she existed.

I wanted to be the one who knew how her mind worked, how it ticked. I didn't care about the pack, what my position was, who I had to be. I would leave it all for her. To do whatever she wanted. Leave. Stay. Anything.

"Where are the others?" Darrens rough voice shook Dustin to reality. The Alpha stood to attention, staring at the still cowering Rogues. Rogues who had hunted a young wolf through the forest. They did not have his pity.

"If you could be so kind as to answer my Beta, when he asks you a question," Dustin growled, his wolf flashing to the surface. He knew they could see it in the change of his eyes.

The smallest one shuffled forward on his knees. "Across the river," he whimpered when his friends snapped their teeth at him.

"Traitor," they barked. One look from Darren had them silencing.

We didn't have any more use of the rogues, Darren ordering the other wolves in our pack to drag them away. They would be locked up before I had to make my decision on what to do with them. Part of me wanted them dead. Where I tained, we would hunt and kill rogues. But another part of me, that I had even then, didn't want to. Since coming here, the part of me that wanted to be good has bloomed brighter than ever.

Perhaps it had something to do with Amy.

Us meeting was so awkward and coarse. I had mistaken her best friend, and her brothers mate, for my mate. I doubted Axel liked me after that, especially as my mate is his sister.

I hadn't even met Amy's parents!

Perhaps I would get to, not that I would know how to act around them. They probably already heard and know about my trying to claim Alyssa. That would be awkward and engrained in me. She seemed to be really nice about it, Axel, not so much.

And to top it off, Axel was best friends with Beta Darren and his mate.

The way Darren's body language flared, I knew that calling him here to save Amy and catch the rogues was poor timing. He walked back over to me, eyebrows pinched together. "Is there anything else you need, Alpha?" He asked, voice tight. He didn't sound mad at me, hopefully, but he was pissed off.

As the Alpha... I should... Ask what's wrong?

"Is everything alright?" I asked, trying to sound sincere. I was going to be spending a lot of time with Darren, he was my Beta, my right hand. We were going to learn about each other one way or another.

Darren took a moment to stare at me. His dark eyes trailing my face. I actually was surprised to find myself intimidated under his gaze.

He took a steady breath before responding. "My mate, Rosie, and I have been arguing over whether it's the right time to have a pup."

"Oh," I said, blinking in surprise. What do I say? What do I say? What do I say? "Do you want a pup?"

"Yes," Darren said, eyebrows raised. Not surprised at my offer to help, but at his own response. "I keep fighting her on it, but I don't know why."

"You're scared to be a dad," I pointed out. There was no way in hell I was ready for that. Not even close. I'd wager never. I like Amy, a lot, but not pups. I can't even kiss her without a whole ordeal.

"My Alpha's died," Darren said, voice shaking. "No offence to you, them being your family and you now my Alpha. I respect you as my Alpha... But I grew up with Sebastion."

"You lost a close friend, I understand," I said, clearing the lump in my throat. "But we're dealing with the issue and will never let this happen again. If you want a baby with your mate, then nothing is stopping you."

"Thanks, this is getting way too serious," Darren said, raking his nails through his short clipped hair. "I better go back to her, I can sense she's mad at me. Good luck with Amy, but remember if you hurt her..." Darren bared his fangs at me.

"You'll kill me, got it," I said, laughing off the fact that I found that very threatening.

Time to go find Amy, and fix this rogue problem.

-

I've been making tiktok's about my wattpad books to inspire myself to write more. It worked.