33: I'm first, wait your turn

Amy Allisons POV

Running through the woods in my wolf was refreshing. But my heart pumped, the adrenaline of what I knew fueled me. My large paws thudding against the ground, the forest floor crunching below me. It was a once in a lifetime idea - but I didn't want to be a journalist for no reason.

My passion was to find out why.

Trying to calm my breathing, I snorted, my snout burning. I must have been running nearby wolfsbane. Slightly, I panicked.

The slip up cost me - my scent changed to a bitter tang. The change in scent cause howling from all around me to start.

The panic turned to fear.

Sounds of paws hitting the ground mingled with mine. My breathing needed to calm, I needed to run faster.

Other wolves - a deep breath - rogues ran around me.

My heart thudded so hard in my chest I could swear it would bust out of my chest. Fear ticked its way up my stomach, stretching its way through my body. My legs shook beneath me. I had to keep pushing. Unlike these rogues I knew my way around the forest. I grew up here I know that the pack house was just a mile if I kept running -

A massive, untamed body crashed into my side. Our bodies went flying. My body tumbled through the air, my paws over my head as I finally made contact with the ground. My breathing was knocked out of me as my body tumbled a few times.

Finally I came to a stop. My vision blurred as I lifted my head. The ground beneath me swaying, my limbs feeling hollow. But I kept my head up.

The rogues were flashes of rusty browns against the brilliant greens of the forest. As my eyes focused, they were already prowling towards me. One shifted into their human form - clothes tattered. Holes, dirt and stains. The sight of him made an uncomfortable coil in my stomach. I had no idea who this was. I had never been this close to a real rogue in my entire life.

Teeth bared, the fully grown, hairy man hissed at me, "Shift." His voice was rough, an animalistic tone was dominant. I did not listen to him. "Shift, bitch." He spat. A wad of brown coloured muck flying from his mouth.

Growing up, I heard tales of soft, misunderstood rogues. But this man was nothing like any of them. He was certainly something else.

"Shift before I pound your skull into the ground." He growled, his rogue companions baring their teeth at me. Fear still choursed through my body, fueling me with adrenaline, but this was not my Alpha.

My Alpha.

"I'm afraid that's my job," the familiar voice scent my tail wagging. Dustin's scent filled my nose, my shoulders sagging in relief as a strong wolf trotted into the clearing. Dustin put himself between me and the three rogues. They reeled back at the sheer presence of him. I wanted nothing more than to run up to Dustin and sink my teeth into his neck. My mouth watered.

Dustin wore a neat maroon shirt and black jeans - hair perfect. Muscles. I swear his biceps are the size of my head - bigger even. Wherever he had been off training - it was evident.

The rogue's were almost intimidated. But not completely, as the ringleader took a step forth again, glowering straight at Dustin.

"You." The Rogue growled, his claws itching to the surface of his hands. I shifted into my human form, pushing myself off the ground to stand beside Dustin. The Rogues eyes shifted between us. "Is she your bitc- " two more full grown wolves etched their way into the clearing. From our pack. I almost ran and wrapped my arms around Rosie's neck.

Her Wolf was taller than me. She was the same size as the two rogues flanking their shifted companion. I flashed Rosie a smile, her wolf winking at me.

"Get off our land, don't come back, or I will shred you to pieces." Dustin bared his teeth, canines on display. My face heated, luckily they had shown up. But the rogue didn't listen.

"Your backup mean nothing - I'm not alone." The rogue reared back, shifting as the three ran off back into the woods. Off our land.

"Why are you running so close to the border?" Dustin asked me, nodding his head to Rosie and the other wolves to check up on things. They obeyed, trotting off in different directions.

"I was on my way to tell you..." I hadn't realised I was out of breath until now. I hunched over, putting my hands on my knees as I drew in as much breath as I could.

"Just catch your breath." Dustin said softly, bending down in front of me. His hot breath mingling with mine. He must have eaten a handful of breath mints, because he smelled amazing. My body swayed slightly, and I found myself staring into his eyes.

I didn't know what came over me. One minute I was standing, and the next I had thrown myself on Dustin - our mouths pressed together.

Taken aback, Dustin muffled out a grunt as he was sent to the ground. But he didn't push me away. His hands gripped me tightly, pushing our mouths hard against one another. His hand knotted in my hair, yanking gently a little. I didn't care that our teeth clashed or that the ground beneath us was covered in dirt and sticks.

No matter what we did, we kissed loudly - something I had seen but not done myself. The amount of times I had heard Alyssa and Axel, the amount of times I had gagged.

It didn't matter. All that mattered was how warmth spread through me the closer we were.

My hands clutched his chest, my fingers digging into his hard flesh, our legs entwined. I thought I was going to die before... and he had been my last thought... All thoughts of my previous mission washed away as we held each other on the floor of the forest. I wanted to make this work.