30: oh, work it

Dustin Craigs POV

Instantly I dissmissed whoever sat across from me as Amy stumbled in, eyes wide and cheeks pink. Her heart beating widley in her chest as she panted heavily in the middle of my office room. "Amy are you okay?" My fingers itched to grab onto her gorgeous body.

"Uh - I have something to say." She fidgeted, her brown hair and blonde highlights shone in the light through the window behind me. "It's about the attacks - the Rogues are attacking every four days because of the - the um - why are you looking at me like that?" She asked shyly, looking down at the simple grey tanktop and short shorts.

"Sorry - continue." I shook my head, drawing myself away from admiring her.

"They're attacking because that's when the lakes tide is down - so that must mean they're on the other side - " I cut her off by quickly walking past her and out the room - somehow her weirdly accurate assumption was important to investigate - it was the only lead they had. "Dustin - wait." She raced after me, her trainers slapping against the ground of the pack house.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked, hopefully she was keeping the same pace as me as we raced through the house - to some of the packs.

"Not completely." She admitted, leaping down the steps after me. "But the lakes tide goes down in three days - maybe we could..." she trailed off, her feet slapping against the ground the only noise between us.

"We'll need to fix this Rogue problem - but Amy..." Sighing, I stopped our race to the big room were I hoped my beta was.

"Y-yes?" She asked, gulping as she stopped beside me, not looking me in the eyes as she shifted from one foot to the other.

"You won't be told anything." I told her, watching as she continued to shift awkwardly. I wanted to say it - say that I accepted her as my mate. I may have had troubles in the past with trust and the idea of a mate was by far the worst thing for me back then. Back then. Back then wasn't a long time ago. I guess rejecting something you don't know isn't a smart idea - at all. Because the idea of a mate, some woman who got a title but did nothing to earn respect from people just annoyed me. But Amy - here she was trying to do her part for a pack she has grown up in - from being just another member with the lucky chance of being the previous Alphas sons mate was just a coincidence. The Moongoddess picking and choosing what was right and what was wrong for people. When I thought Alyssa was my mate I wanted to prove a point - to just screw her and have children. To not fall in love - but to angrily rub it in everyones face. But even though Axel and Alyssa knew about my intentions, she made him reconsider me as not an enemy, but as a friend. She had so much sway over him that she turned his bad intentions good. Because he loved her and she loved him.

"I understand - what evers good for the packs safety is all I'm concerned about." She said, again shifting her gaze to anywhere but me, she was the pure definition of awkward. I didn't know one person - even though all we've really done is argue, glare and fight - one person could make me want to try.

My mate was making me feel.

I want to tell her why I'm this way - to not have her look at me in a distasteful confusion before looking and ignoring me entirely. She had built up something in her head, a future, and I had fucked it up.

It made me feel guilty.

But it was a feeling non the less.

"- look Amy." I started, tried to start before she cut me off with her tired, taunt voice.

"I don't want to talk about it." She gritted her teeth, as if this conversation was physically painful.

"But I do." I pressed, trying to stare into her dark brown eyes.

"I've hurt people - I've told you - all because of this mate bullshit." She sighed, eyes leaving mine to stare at the large oak doors behind me. "You should get in there."

"Not good enough - look her Amy, I'm not good at this at all, but I'm thinking about trying. I want a girl who can call me on my BS and knock me to the ground when it's called for - or maybe when it's not." I winked to hint at my suggestiveness. "I want a mate who kisses me hard and leaving me wanting more." She stared wide eyed - all I could think was that this is my chance. "Amy - I accept you as my mate."

A moment of silence passed and her face remained mutual. She stared at me with her lips drawn back in a bored frown.

"Oh you accept me do you?" She snarled, rolling her eyes like some sort of stubborn teenager. "Listen here buddy - "

"I assumed that is what you're supposed to say in these situations?" I raised an eyebrow, this whole mate topic was getting more and more confusing the more I went into it. Her eyes widened in shock - before narrowing at me.

"You don't know what to do." She called, reveling in this new revelation that had finally bloomed in her mind. Because I didn't know what to do - I spent nine years barely shifting, barely knowing anything other than fighting. I fought with weapons, guns and my own hands - all for nothing so it seemed. I learnt attack strategies for no reason. I basically went to a temple and lost my social skills but gained abs. Crazy.

"I thought that was obvious." I deadpanned, narrowing my eyes at her questioningly. "Agree to go on a date with me and be my mate."

"Shit." Was all she said while shrugging. "I have expectations - I'm finishing school, and I might be going to university, I don't know yet - I don't plan on moving in with you until I'm older and I must warn you I expect you to meet my family and not be a dick." She ranted, pointing her finger at me once again. "And we take things slow."

"Anything else?"

"There will be more - when I remember." She bit her lip, trying to hide the red that began to bloom on her cheeks.