14: Dustin

Dustin Craigs POV

Heart pounding, hands clenched and my teeth grinding, I watched my pack sit in front of me. My new beta some dark skinned guy named Darren who was covered in bandages. The only man I respected in the room - he fought beside my father and cousin.

But everyone else? Young strangers who didn't look pleased that I was there.

"- Axel is the new pack medic - " I didn't pay close attention as Darren filled me in on my new pack. My eyes went to the man who was mentioned, a young boy sat in a seat in the table, sandy brown hair. Boring - my eyes swept over the group - still no one worth while.

My father had died for these people and I couldn't see the appeal. Rolling my eyes, I checked the clock, yawning, and the wolves at the table noticed, exchanging looks with each other.

I had been training in the mountains when I got the call - the call that my father was dead along with my cousin and that I have a pack to run.

Training to be a killer, to become a normal werewolf, instead of an alpha.

And this pack sucked.

There were so many rules and not much fighting - but Darren was a fighter. His tattoo looked tribal and his face was pulled into an intimidating frown - he probably didn't have a mate. Not by being so cold and ruthless. Mates were pathetic - especially the ones I'd met with other werewolves. They were a weakness.

If I had a mate they were to just be there for pups - for when I wanted them - and they could do whatever they wanted, but of course having to stay within the pack. I don't need a reckless wannabe adventurer. Of course I wasn't the whole 'you're only good for making babies' I meant that I was bad at getting to know people and I would want to mark them straight up - possessive. That was the word to describe me.

"Alpha - I need you to listen." Darren snapped at me, annoyed that I was barely listening and not paying attention. "The rogues may attack again at any moment - especially with both other alphas dead."

"Rogues don't recognize leaders, they won't know what an alpha even is - like they'll know when we're at our weakest." The Axel shot back at Darren, sending the beta an apologetic smile.

"Axel - wasn't it? - you're a medic right?" I eyed the sandy brown haired man who nodded slowly. "What do you know of rogues? I recommend sticking to what you know and not - "

"If I may alpha, Axel took a course on rogues - that and it's common knowledge with rogues." Darren eyed me with a raised eyebrow. Darren was threarening - looked like he was used to getting his way through brute force. I respect that in my beta.

"If you say so." I shrugged, standing up. "This meeting is over." Everyone else rose, mingling with each other, Axel approached me - this guy was annoying.

"Sorry alpha - if I came off as a know it all. My mate was just very close with your cousin - my condolences." Axel told me, but I felt like it was forced. I eyed him - his mate. A weakness I would surely use against him.

The doors opened, causing everyones heads to snap up.

"Axel - oh." The sweet sent of chocolate and carmel hit my nose. It was feint but my wolf jumped - mate.

A blode girl stood blushing sheepishly in jeans and a baggy shirt. The sent was from her. She was my mate. Her carmel eyes and blonde hair were free and wild. I licked my lips as I stared at her - she was hot.

"Alyss - " I cut Axel off with my booming voice.

"Mate!" I shouted.

I felt the room freeze, it was all in slow motion, Axel turned to me slowly, everyones eyes wide.

Was there a problem? Or were they surprised I found my mate so quickly?

And my blonde mate stood wide eyed at me, taking a step back, confusion across her face.

And that's when Axel lunged - my head snapped to him as his face was pulled back in a snarl. But beta Darren grabbed him mid air as Axel snarled, teeth bared at me as he clawed at me.

How dare he attack me? His alpha.

I growled back at him - he was probably the biggest dick and weakest link here.

"Axel stop!" My mate screamed, running across the room to Axel, grabbing him by the arm. Slight anger rolled through me - not the amount other alphas describe when their mate is with someone else. But anger because she ran to him instead of me. She started whispering words of comfort to Axel who calmed down and the two had a quiet conversation.

I lunged. "Mine - " I growled. She was my mate.

Darren grabbed me, dragging me out the room and away from Axel who gently dragged my mate away.

Chocolate and carmel - the smell was still feint and hard to grasp against all the different scents in the room.

"Let me go to my mate." I snapped as she dissappeared, her blonde hair hidden by Axels large build - the door closing behind them. I was going to kill him and claim my mate.