22: I'm feeling

Dustin Craigs POV

They were all so in love. I couldn't stand watching them, being the third wheel as they all groomed each other - as they nuzzled. Where I'm from - where I belong - love wasn't a thing. You went there to get away from love - because it was weak and easily lost. And finding it was difficult in the first place - it could take years to love.

Years to love but seconds to lose it.

And I didn't feel welcomed around my beta and his friends. They weren't mine, I was an alpha now - a stranger to my own pack. Friendless. Darren was just an associate. I had shifted back into human form because wolfing it could cause a problem.

Sighing, I kicked a rock, I wasn't actually hungry - but how else was I supposed to leave them with a valid excuse. And I tried - I tried to connect with Alyssa - even if it was awkward to communicate in that way by my wolf.

"Dustin!" I stopped dead in my tracks, not even understand why Darren was calling out to me. Whirling around I watched as the group of four caught up to me in their human forms.

"Jeeze you walk fast kid." Rosie wheezed, causing me to laugh at her - laugh.

Axel even offered me a smile, I don't know if me getting to know them better was a good thing or a bad. A few weeks ago I was training - fighting - and now I had a mate who refused to communicate with me for some unkown reason, and I had a quarrel with her brother - that has a reason though. I did try and claim his mate because I thought she was mine - pretty awkward.

"What are you - uh - doing here?" I hadn't spoken to anyone in such a mundane term in such a long time that I cringed. Really, that is all I can say? And in that informal format? I am supposed to be the alpha of this pack and here I was being awkward around a group of teens, as if it was my first day in kindergarten.

"We're hungry too." Alyssa replied, the group falling into step beside me. I didn't know what to do - I seemed to be saying that a lot more regularly. But I honestly didn't know what to do, I hadn't made friends in a such a long time - I don't even remember how to make friends. I had spent nine years were my main priority was evading what I'm doing right now. If I had been here - if I hadn't left - my dad might not be dead right now. No - he would. If I hadn't left and gained insight to this I wouldn't be properly trained and equipped in battle - I would never have been able to save my father. I don't know which thought haunts me more.

"Have you ever been to Busy Burger before?" Axel asked as Darren opened the door, letting Rosie and Alyssa walk in before blocking Dustins way with a smirk.

"No - and should I take what he did as offensive or...?" I trailed off, Darren was my beta - he might or might not like me but you still don't disrespect your alpha.

"Oh - he does that to me. Dick move really." Axel called, making sure Darren heard it. "So you and Amy - " he started, cutting himself off. I stared at him - they were after all brother and sister - of course he knew.

"She doesn't want to talk about it." I replied dryly - I really wanted to say it wasn't his place to say anything - but it technically was. He was allowed his opinion considering it was his younger sister we were talking about.

"Something happened - around Als birthday - I feel like she thinks she doesn't deserve a mate. So my warning is be patient with her." Axel eyed me, he definitely wanted to say something else - something more.

"And?" I pressed - wanting to hear it. Anything was worth talking about - and the topic being the future luna didn't hurt.

"I want to threaten and insult you - but my girlfriend told me not to." He shrugged, claiming the seat beside Alyssa. He calls her his mate and girlfriend - I only thought you called them your mate, lover or match. But I suppose being surrounded by human culture you tend to use their wording. Or referring to your significant other as 'mate' makes them sound less... significant.

"Was Axel being a good boy?" Alyssa teased - an obvious taunt and way to degrade Axel in the most playful and romantic way possible. Were they always coupley? I don't think I can handle it. Although that could be my single side talking.

"Yes I was - didn't threaten or insult anyone." Axel smiled giddly, receiving a shy kiss on the cheek, keeping a permanent smile on his face.

"Welcome to Busy Burger, how can I help you fugly bitches today?" The waitresses words surprised me, turning around it all made sense when my mate, Amy, stood their with her pen and notebook. Ready to take our order - but refusing to look in my direction.

She really didn't want to get to know me did she?

I would have been offended had it not been for Axels words, or the fact that everytime I'm around her their's a taste of fear.

Not fear of me, but a feint fear of what being with me could become.

***
Werewolf story!
Author here, hope I got your attention, I'm glad so many of you are enjoying this story! I have ANOTHER werewolf story that really beats the stereotypes out of the park -

Her Human Mate

It's all about having a lot of the really awesome story ideas and turning them around.

The bad girl beta-in-line is all sassy and a troublemaker with a mysterious past and the good guy nerd with cute thick rimmed glasses is a human with a normal life. And bamn! They're somehow mates!?!?!

If you guys sound interested just check it out - I've only published the Prologue so far and plan on doing more a little while later. Just wanted you all to get a taste of what is hopefully more to come.

How do you all feel about Amy and Dustin? I don't know whether to be excited or cry at Dustins mysteriously sad past?