31: Cradle

Axel Allisons POV

Running a hand through my brown hair - that hadn't been cut in a while, I've been too busy around Alyssa - I sighed, looking at Amy. She fiddled with her dyed highlights, staring into Alyssa's hospital room. "She - She is going to be okay."

"We can't lose her." She muttered, dropping into one of the uncomfortable waiting chairs. Closing my eyes I stared into the room my mate was in - our eyes meeting. Cute doe brown and a pained expression. Her hand reached out towards me slightly - I couldn't stop the whine that rose in my throat. Amy spared me a look, folding her arms and arching her brow.

I need to make this quick.

I explained briefly of what was happening to Alyssa. Watching as she held her head in her hands when I mentioned it happen to people who didn't get the vaccination all those years ago. And I guess she realised that Mum was one of them. "What are they doing?" She sighed, squeezing her eyes shut. "We didn't do anything to them."

Sighing, I sat down beside her and wrapped an arm around her. "I don't know Amy, it's like they're weeding us out."

"Wait - only our pack really has these vaccinations?" Amy asked, eyebrows pulled together in concentration. I nodded, my own mind wondering what she was thinking. "So maybe - these rogues are trying to weed us out. They don't know about the vaccinations and maybe they're trying to weaken and then destory." My eyebrows flew up, it was a great theory - the best I've ever heard, better than one I could come up with.

"Okay?" My reaction didn't faze her as she started pacing infront of me. "When did you get good at these assumptions?"

"I just am dude." She ran a hand through her hair, like I do. I cringed, we are definitely related. I sat back in my chair - eyes wandering to the door Alyssa waited for me to come back. "I have to tell Dustin. I noticed that the rogues attack when the rivers tides go down - "

"Wait - Dustin?" I stood up abruptly, watching her deadpan look at me, then roll her eyes. "When did you start talking to Dustin?" I demanded, staring down at her. She crossed her arms tightly over her chest and rolled her eyes again.

"He and I have been seeing each other here and there." She answered, fidgeting. Folding and unfolding her arms. I grabbed her shoulders, her hands falling to her side. "We're - trying." She cringed, sticking her tongue out like a panting dog. "He isn't terrible."

"Good for you?" I squinted my eyes, this is what I'm supposed to say. I took a deep breath - I got this. "Why don't you say bye to Als and you can go tell him." I muttered, pulling her into a hug. She muttered okay before breaking our embrace. She pushed the door open and I watched as she hugged Alyssa goodbye, whispering a few things to my girlfriend, before turning away and walking out the door.

"See you later Axel." She smiled sadly, wrapping her arms tightly around my neck. "I don't want to leave you alone."

"I won't be alone, I got Alyssa." I argued, grinning and rubbing the top of her head and messing up her hair a little bit. "You go be with your mate." I kissed her forehead, offering her one last smile before walking behind her and into Alyssa's hospital room.

She has closed her eyes, burying her head into her pillow. Her eyes were sunken in and face pale - a thin sweat coating her forehead. Her usually hair that was full of life, lay limp around her head like a halo. I picked up a clean rag and dabbed her forehead gently. Her eyes blinked open, squinting at the harsh light.

"It's okay baby." I kissed her cheek, closest to her eye, resting my nose on her forehead. "I'm right here." My other hand held her small waist as she pressed her cold knuckles into my chest. "I don't have to go anywhere - not ever."

"I - I love you." She croaked, moving away from me, making room for me to lay beside her. Breathing out my nose, I relaxed, climbing into the uncomfortable bed beside her. When the doctor came in he would ask if he could take her home. She was getting more conscious, saying more things then just Axel.

"Come here." I muttered, pulling her head against my chest - a new pillow. She buried her head into me now, gently rubbing her nose against me. I smiled, not caring if she was using me as a tissue or not - as long as she was safe, happy and in my arms. "Baby I love you too."

I swore a slow smile crept across her face.