18: horrible lower class werewolf

Dustin Craigs POV

The sound of my knee hitting the hardwood floor was all that was heard between us, my anger bubbled to the surface - but I had long since been able to tame that - the feelings of pride and desire shinned out. My mate wasn't taking anything from anyone - even me.

"Watch yourself or I'll be tempted to mark you." I got out through clenched teeth, rising to my feet as I turned to her. Her eyes were wide in surprise - surprised that she had actually kicked her alpha in the ankle and made him fall to the ground. "Where'd you learn how to do that?" I asked, trying to ignore the slight throbbing the back of my ankle was experiencing.

"I've been practicing a few things." She admitted, her eyes trailing down to my ankle with a satisfied smirk.

"Well - here's a little advice, if you want me to stay on the ground next time, slam your elbow into the back of my head." I said deadly calm, watching as her dark brown eyes mulled it over.

"I'll keep that in mind for next time." She smiled widely, brushing past me this time - but I didn't jam my heel into her ankle - it didn't seem original.

"You know you're going to have to face this?" Moon goddess knows I have to - especially if she'll end up as my luna. But was she worth the title? Obviously - I'm a stranger who is the new alpha and she just randomly jammed her foot into me and made me fall to the ground because she didn't like what I was saying - I smirked at the imagery of her doing that at a council meeting. Mostly her doing it to that Axel guy.

"You're right, but in the mean time, don't be a dick to my brother." She threw the insult over her shoulder, walking out the room finally.

Axel and Amy were brothers - it clicked. Well I'm obviously in no ones good books, like I care at this point.

The fact that Darren had a mate and this was their home, hit a chord in me. Darren was ruthless and violent - without a weakness. Except he has one - Rosie. His actions and agression had me believing he was unmated, that he had no one, but he did - and that is what confused me more. Mates were supposed to be a werewolves soft spot, someone they changed for, a important someone in their life they gave everything else up for. But Darren gave nothing up - instead he still had a mate and was the beta of the pack - and a darn good one at that.

I thought mates made you weak - but I suppose for Darren it was another reason to keep fighting - to be that extra wild.

Or maybe it was because his mate was an oddball - I had caught a glimpse of her fairy floss pink hair.

My mate was also different as she had basically attacked me. Although it could have been considered as rough housing to another - which it was - as it wasn't an actual attack.

I had barely met her and she was already confusing.

I walked to the door frame - that's when I heard it - the two mutterings of lovers as they worried for their friend. Not wanting to disrupt it, I was forced to listen to Alyssa and Axels pathetic sentiments to each other. But then she said something that made me freeze, eyes wide.

"I love you."

She had said the three words I hadn't heard in nine years.

"I love you too."

Their footsteps faded away, but I remained still where I stood. I forgot that thoes words still existed. But I remember what they meant - and for Axel and Alyssa to be at that stage - to be in love. No wonder he had attacked me when I had tried to claim her - had come to their home again to claim her.

I had intruded on something so vunerable, so I rare. Something I had forgotten existed. And waited.

Waited until there was no signs of people coming into the living room as I let one tear roll down my face in memory of her.

In memory of my deseased mother.

The only person in my life that ever said thoes three words to me and meant it.