11: Goodnight

Alyssa Mells POV

I held Rosies' hand as we waited for Darren to wake up. Axel was moving around him in his white uniform - It wasn't the moment or time, but he looked hot in it - as he checked vitals and fiddled with anything he could find nervously. If - if he woke up. There was always that nerve wrecking 'what if' when it came to life problems - it hurt me to think what Darren was going through - even worse to put myself in Rosies position. Even though Darren was the one injured - he was heavily sedated - he could probably barely feel the terror that was his shredded body - but Rosie. Rosie had to look - had to feel as her mate lay in a pile of 'what if'. But we all knew Darren would wake up - there was no way he wouldn't wake up.

But Rosie - she was hard to reassure, she would go around and pretend nothing was wrong as her hands shook and sobs wracked her body. It was hard for all of us as we watched Darrens bloody body lay still in hope.

"Visiting hours are over." Came a soft voice from behind us, I hadn't noticed Axel leave the room, consumed in grief and my own thoughts. "I pulled a few strings to let Rosie stay - if you want Rose." Axel spoke calmy, softly, to Rosie who offered a weak nod - eyes never leaving Darren. Axel gave her a tight hug - I did the same. Reluctantly, I pulled away with Axels hand in mine as we walked out the door, sending one last look in Rosies direction to see her curled up in the chair beside his bed which had somehow moved closer, her feet pressed gently to his side, her hand tracing soothing patterns on his arm as she mumbled something I didn't have the heart to try to overhear.

Axel was tired - I didn't need to be his mate to sense it. This was the second attack on our pack and now - both the alphas are gone - Darren on life support maybe not even being able to wakr up. And I could tell - no matter how tired he was, he wanted to go back inside to be with his best friends.

Getting into the drivers side again, I watched Axel walk around with concern. He didn't get in the car, instead he leaned against the front of the hood. I bit my lip, uncertaint of what he was doing. Then he dropped his head into his hands. Blinking back tears, I opened my door again to go out to him.

He wasn't crying, just hunched over with his face hidden in his huge palms.

"Axel." I called his name softly, my arm wrapping around his wasit as I sat beside him. He didn't move, which made me hold him tighter, smiling sadly when he finally leaned into me.

"Als I don't know what to do." He sighed. "If Darren doesn't wake up - or somebody we don't like stands up in position as Alpha - I want to leave." Axel brought his head out of his hands and looked at me, tears leaked down his cheeks as he stared at me - his beautiful clear eyes stared with a seriousness that had my lip wobbling - fighting tears. "I don't care if we become rogues - I don't want to live here if you're in danger." He seemed to promise.

My heart ached at his words - he'd leave everything behind so I was safe. He might not be completely undone and crying but I was. Letting a sob break past my lips, I wrapped my arms around his neck, tightening my grip and not letting go, all he did was hold me back, fingers gently playing with my hair as we sat on the bonnet of his car crying.

I pressed a kiss to the side of his face, we'd been hugging for a long time. "It's time to go Axie." I said gently. He nodded, pressing another kiss to his face. He nodded, tightening the grip around my waist. I was cold and hungry - but Axel needed me. So I braved the cold, the darkness and the growing tiredness for Axel.

"You're shivering." Axel mumbled after a long moment silence. He released his grip around me - that's when I did realize I was shivering. "I'll drive." He smiled, pulling me into a soft kiss.

All Axel and I tended to do was kiss - wake up tired, kiss. Axel leave in the morning, kiss. See each other after he picks me up after school, kiss - obviously in the car or else Axel and I would get questioned not only by students but by teachers. So Axel and I kissed all the time. For comfort and love.

I climbed into the passenger seat, Axel reached across the consol and gripped my hand, squeezing it before it returned to the steering wheel. "I love you." I whispered.

And I would tell him everyday, because I meant it. I was never so sure of something in my life.

"I love you too." He whispered back, a smile on his face.

We were two people in love.