48

again, i'm just adding the chapters on 'broken' onto here just so you don't get confused!

✔️ edited

angelica

"what is love? love is an intense feeling of deep affection, but not everything is about getting butterflies, flowers or gifts. love is more than that. not everyone tells you this, but love is painful." i cleared my throat nervously and continued, hesitating before saying the next part.

"i grew up watching my mother and father break up every five seconds. either he kept a secret and never told her or she messed up and didn't tell him. relationships aren't perfect and neither were theirs, but that's what i loved about theirs. no matter what they went through, they always got through it together. they always went back to each other because at the end of the day, it didn't matter that they put each other through hell. they got through it because that's how much they loved each other. that's how strong their love was. not many couples can get past all that, but they weren't like other couples. they were more superior and unstoppable. it was impossible to separate them. not only were they lovers, but they were best friends. i could go on and on about my parents love, but it'd take me years to explain their deep connection. but just know that my father hasn't stopped loving her, even after we lost her ten years ago."

tear drops fell down on my paper. i quickly wiped them away and looked up at the teacher. she clapped her hands and so did the rest of the class. "thank you for that lovely love essay angelica, you may take your seat." i nod and walk over to my desk, taking a seat as i set my paper down.

"that's some story you got there ang." my best friend whispered. "i'm so sorry about your-"

"it's okay." i interrupt her. "it happened almost a decade ago. i can barely even remember how my mother looked like." i look over at her and smile a bit. "i just know her by the photos and stories my father used to always tell me."

"she was beautiful." i looked down at my paper again. "i just wish i got to grew up with her." i swallowed the lump in my throat and held in my tears. "dad used to tell me how much she wanted to see her little girl grow up into a beautiful woman and now she won't get the chance to."

mia frowned and pulled me into a hug. "don't worry ang, it's gonna be okay. your mother would be proud of the woman you've become." she pulled away and smiled at me. "i'm sure she's watching you from above and seeing how successful you are."

i smile and nod. standing up from my seat when i hear the bell ring. "i hope so." i put all my stuff away and look at her. "i gotta go, my father is probably waiting for me outside, but i'll see you tomorrow." i blow her a kiss before heading over to the school parking lot.

i look around for my fathers car, but instead i see my uncle roman's. i walk up to his car and get in before turning to look at him. "where's dad?"

"joey, had to deal with some business. he's sorry he couldn't pick you up today, but he'll do it on monday." i frown and nod it off. i put on my seatbelt and stare out the window.

dad never misses a day of picking me up from school. even when he was sick, he'd manage to get in the car and drive his ass to school. i just hope he's okay, he hasn't been himself lately or for the past ten years.

once we got home i rushed out of the car quickly and head to my room. i throw all my stuff on my bed and head over to the fridge to grab some ice cream. santiago rushed over to me and snatched the container out of my hands.

"hey, i had it first!" i shout at him.

"i don't care, i want some too!" he shouts back.

we wrestled over the container of ice cream before hearing someone clear their throat. we both dropped it and looked up.

"seriously?" uncle roman scoffed, picking up the container.

"don't spoil your appetite, joey won't like it." he adds before putting the ice cream back in the freezer.

"lately dad hasn't liked anything." santi mumbled.

i nod in agreement.

"it's been ten years, uncle roman." he looked up at him. "i thought he'd be over it by now."

"santi, your mother died days after you were born. i know you never got the chance to really know her, but she meant a lot to your father." roman eyed me. "i was expecting you to understand angelica." he scoffed before walking away.

joey

"joey, joey wake up!" roman said as he shook me. i groan and push his arm away.

"fuck off." i mumbled before rolling onto the other side. roman pulled the blankets off of me making me shoot up from the bed. "what the fuck roman!" i exclaim, lookint at him angrily.

"finally." he rolled his eyes. "we have a meeting to attend like about twenty five minutes ago so hurry up and get dressed and let's go!" he threw the blanket at me and left my room.

i groan loudly and get up from my bed. i head into the bathroom and take a quick shower then get dressed afterwards. after i do i head downstairs where roman was waiting for me on the couch.

he looked over at me and stood up. "ready?" i nod and walk out the house. i stop when i see a random woman standing there dressed like she was about to go to a funeral.

"can i help you?" i asked her.

she looked at me and shook her head. "no, sorry i think i got the wrong address." i eyed her suspiciously. "wait, did rowan used to live here?"

i slowly walked up to her. "what do you know about rowan?"

she looked at me before a smile spreads across her face. "you'll see" she reaches for her pocket and takes a piece of paper out. "call me sometime." she winked at me before walking out of my driveway.

i looked back at roman confused. he just shrugged and got in the car. i take a deep breath and stare down at the piece of paper. i shook it off and slide it in my pocket before getting in the car.

~

"you two seriously had to get here almost an hour late?" reina scoffed at us. i rolled my eyes and took a seat next to roman

"i overslept." i shrug.

"it's five in the afternoon." she rolled her eyes.

"so?" i look over at her.

"about fucking time." emilio walked in the room with two other men and a girl standing behind him. they all take a seat and look at roman and i.

"you two, this is delia-"

"deli, for short." she interrupts. she looks over at emilio and apologizes before sinking down in her seat.

he clears his throat and continued. "delia, this is roman and joey. you'll be staying under their protection until we get you cleared out."

i shook my head. "no way emilio. with all due respect i'm a pimp not fucking hospitality." i stood up from my seat, but roman quickly pulled me back down.

"joey, this is important. delia has been through so much and she needs to be protected. she's in danger and-"

"we'll do it." roman interrupts.

"like hell we will!" i shout at him.

"enough!" reina yells. she looked over at me and scoffed. "you're doing it and that's it, delia will be under your care until it's safe for her to go back to spain. she's got all the mafia's looking for her, trying to get her hands on her but i know she'll be safe in your house and under your protection. stop being a fucking child and just do this already."

i glance over at delia. she looked at me before looking down at her lap. i look over at roman then reina.

"okay i'll do it."