Danger in the Air

Start from the beginning

"Your Baba and I will have a meeting with your GrandPa Feng and Uncle Luau. You don't need to attend that meeting nor you need to know the details of it. Stay here in your room and we will see you in luncheon." I told my daughter.

"I understand, Father." Hua nodded. I smiled and pass a gentle hand on her hair.

"We will keep her occupied, Master Dayu." Dao's nanny said. She and Hua's nanny will help my daughter on her bath.

"Thank you, Nanny." I nodded to them before leaving Hua's room to go to the library where I saw my lover, my uncle and Luau waiting for me.

"Uncle," I bowed respectfully to the man who is a dear friend of my deceased father and uncle. Uncle Feng helped Uncle Shu to raise us. Mei and I has deep respect and love for the former governor of SiChuan.

"My nephew," Uncle Feng came forward to hug me. I wrapped my arms around him and sighed in his familiar scent. Uncle Feng leaned out to regard my face. I smiled at him. Uncle sighed. "It's truly hard not to miss your mother whenever I am seeing her eyes and smile on you." He chuckled. "Gege, your father, must be really thankful that you didn't inherit his ugly face."

"Uncle," I chuckled at his jest.

Uncle turned serious. "But you got their strength. Your Baba and Uncle Shu. You got their determination. Your bravery from your mother. Heaven knows she was a remarkable woman." Uncle Feng shook his head. "What am I doing? Reminiscing about the people I lost a long time ago. I am fast becoming a silly old man, Dayu ah."

"Don't say that. I love hearing stories about my parents and uncle from you." I countered his words.

"Well, I am not here to talk about the people I loved and treasured the most before I had you, Mei and Luau in my heart." Uncle Feng moved away from me. "I am here to talk about the person you met last night."

I nodded. "The "parcel"."

"Yes. That. Him..." Uncle Feng sighed.

"How did you know about him, Uncle?" I asked while Uncle and I went deeper into the room and I watched as he sat on the end of the table that Hua and Dao used when we have a lesson here.

"The Emperor introduced us. But that...boy...he is different."

"He claims that he can see the past and the future. Do you believe him?" I asked my Uncle Feng.

Uncle Feng hesitated for a bit before he nodded. "Yes," he said.

I reeled back in surprise. Uncle Feng is one of the wisest man I know. "How can you let that boy hoodwinked you into thinking that he is really a seer that can see the past and future? You cannot be this stupid, Uncle..."

"I am not stupid," Uncle sneered at me. "I just have proof to believe what the boy is claiming that he is. He came from a small tribe in middle Tibet that practiced sorcery and witchcraft. The boy is no charlatan."

Captain Wang and I looked at each other.

"But Uncle..."

"Dayu ah, listen to me...the boy is not cursed nor he is crazy. He is dangerous, though. He knows things that he uses to his advantage. For someone so young, he already seen a lot with those eyes of his. Don't underestimate the boy nor get too attach to him." Uncle Feng gave us looks filled with warning. "Just finish this mission and go back to Hua and Dao in the Capital. I was against this mission, I begged the Emperor not to ask the two of you to do these but...it obviously didn't work. The two of you, just think of your children. Finish this mission and come back here in the Capital."