chapter 32

weeks go by and before you know it, you're just as popular as the funtom company's bitter rabbit. kids and adults love you equally. however this was proven to be bothersome for the both of you, as children just couldn't keep to themselves, petting and picking you up and give you vice gripping hugs. ultimately, you had to perch yourself on sebastian's shoulder, as no child can reach his shoulder height.

and through these months, Ciel had.. thawed slightly. sure, he didn't change his outlook on life or his plot for revenge on those who wronged him, but he is more brighter than he used to be. his eye was more brighter and his face wasn't in a cold sneer like it normally was. he didn't smile as much, but he still was able to crack them easier, fake or not. though with you, this smiles are quite genuine. so he had you around at all times, to keep him centered. even with guests and when he goes out of town, he refuses to let you out of his sight.

speaking of out of town..

"holiday, holiday, we're going on a holiday!"

your one ear pricked at the barely audible chanting of the cheerful servants over the loud thudding of horse hooves in a separate carriage in the back of you and ciel. this apparently was their first holiday to the queen's resort from what you could under understand. If not the first holiday they've been on. you could tell, because they were all just so excited. it was quite amusing and warming to see them in such high spirits. "they're so happy, master!" you said, voice sounding quite pleased. "they are, aren't they, dear (name)?" sebastian's voice came. he clearly was leaning on the teasing tone of voice. "he is quite a generous master, isn't he?" you flinched as ciel squeezes a patch of (color) fur with the hand he had rested on your back for a moment. "I couldn't leave them alone." he replied quickly. "I could come home to the Manor in shambles." you repress a snort of amused disbelief.  "understood." you simply reply, giving your chest fur a few licks. ciel strokes your back a few times, signaling his satisfaction. you stretched out, letting the slight turbulence of the carriage rolling over gravel roads and the soothing sound of horse hooves trotting over the dirt.

you were half-asleep when you felt the carriage and the trotting of hooves stop. you felt ciel tap your flank, prompting you to groggily raise your head. "we've arrived." he announced to you. you rose a paw and rubbed your eye sleepily. "arrived where?" you ask instinctively, rising to your paws and arching your back as you stretched. "Houndsworth." he stated. you yawned and twitched your ear. "houndsworth? Sounds-" you absentmindedly glance over to a large tree and felt your heart drop to your stomach.

it was a massive dead black tree, branches strung up in hanging, rotting dog collars, while the ground surrounding it was littered in rocks and a few dog skulls. your mouth opened partially and your eyes were rounded into saucers as you uttered a squeak of confused fear. "forgive me, dear. I forgot to mention the resort the queen is planning is yet to be constructed." he informed blankly. your jaws shut with a snap and your face dropped into an annoyed grimace.

thank you for the heads up, good sir. "rrreow..."